Construction continued this past week at the commuter rail stations in Big Lake, Elk River, Anoka, Coon Rapids, Fridley and Minneapolis. Work also progressed on the Light Rail Transit (LRT) connection in downtown Minneapolis.
For your safety, please do not attempt to access the Fridley station construction area; this includes crossing the BNSF tracks or attempting to follow the Mississippi River Regional Trail through the site. It is unsafe and illegal to attempt to enter the construction site.
To keep yourself and the construction crews safe, please use East River Road to travel north and south during Fridley station construction.
The schedule provided in this update is tentative, weather dependent and subject to change.
DOWNTOWN MINNEAPOLIS – LRT CONNECTION
- This week, crews began painting the LRT station shelters. Electrical work also continued.
- Crews finished commuter rail track work. Work on the LRT track continues.
- Work on the signal light and overhead catenary systems continue.
CITY OF COON RAPIDS – NORTHSTAR STATION (RIVERDALE PARK-AND-RIDE)
- Painting of the pedestrian overpass continues. Crews will begin painting the interior of the overpass next week.
- Elevator installation continues; installation is expected to be complete next week.
- Crews installed planter soil in preparation for landscaping work.
CITY OF ANOKA – NORTHSTAR STATION (JOHNSON STREET AND 4TH AVENUE)
- Landscaping work at the Anoka station began this week.
- The final pavement course on the north park-and-ride lot will be completed when landscaping work finishes.
CITY OF ELK RIVER – NORTHSTAR STATION (HIGHWAY 10/169 AND 171ST AVENUE)
- Crews began painting the station shelters. Painting will continue through next week.
- Station platform concrete work continued. The last concrete pours are scheduled for next week.
- Work began on installing the platform light poles. This work will be completed next week.
CITY OF BIG LAKE – NORTHSTAR STATION (HIGHWAY 10 AND COUNTY ROAD 43) AND VMF
- Crews are installing lock system and speaker wiring.
- The Vehicle Maintenance Facility is complete.
CITY OF FRIDLEY - NORTHSTAR STATION (61ST WAY NE AND EAST RIVER ROAD NE)
- This week, crews continued utility work in both the east and west park-and-ride lots.
- Work also continues on the west and center head houses. Crews poured the concrete walls of the west head house this week. Concrete pours for the center head house are scheduled for next week.
- Landscaping crews seeded the east and west drainage ponds this week.
- Crews continue work in the west parking lot.
FOR YOUR SAFETY, PLEASE REMEMBER:
Maintain a safe distance between you and the tracks – Never walk along or on railroad tracks. While Northstar station platforms look inviting, they are still under construction and will not be ready for public use until Northstar launches service this fall. Stay away from platform areas.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the Northstar Project, please contact Brandt Richardson at 651-366-5829 or by e-mail at email@example.com or visit the Northstar website at www.mn-GetOnBoard.com.
If you would like to schedule a Northstar Commuter Rail presentation for an organization, group or meeting, please contact Brandt Richardson.
CITY OF MINNEAPOLIS – COMMUTER RAIL STATION
Crews install pavers at the Northstar platform (May 27, 2009)
CITY OF COON RAPIDS – NORTHSTAR STATION
Crews paint the pedestrian overpass (May 21, 2009)
CITY OF ANOKA – NORTHSTAR STATION
Landscape prep work in park-and-ride islands (May 22, 2009)
CITY OF ELK RIVER – NORTHSTAR STATION
Crews pour the bus drive at the Elk River station (May 22, 2009)
CITY OF BIG LAKE – NORTHSTAR STATION
Big Lake station lighting (June 3, 2009)
CITY OF FRIDLEY – NORTHSTAR STATION
Crews form the walls of the west head house (May 27, 2009)