Northstar Commuter Rail Grand Opening Events
Northstar Commuter Rail will celebrate its grand opening on Saturday, Nov. 14, 2009, with regular commuter service beginning on the following Monday, Nov. 16. The public is invited to the Nov. 14 events at each Northstar station from Big Lake to downtown Minneapolis.
The random drawing for free grand opening train rides will take place the week of October 12; winners will be notified by mail. A limited number of train tickets will also be available on Nov. 14 at the Fridley, Coon Rapids-Riverdale, Anoka, Elk River and Big Lake stations. No rides will be provided in downtown Minneapolis that day. However, the public may tour a Northstar train at the Target Field Station and receive a free Metro Transit ride coupon good for travel on Northstar at a later specified date.
For more information about Northstar Commuter Rail, operated by Metro Transit, and the grand opening events, go to www.metrotransit.org/northstar. To learn about Northstar Link Commuter Coach service between St. Cloud and Big Lake, operated by St. Cloud Metro Bus, go to www.CatchTheLink.com.
Fridley Station Safety
For your safety, please do not attempt to access the Fridley station construction area; this includes crossing the BNSF railroad tracks or attempting to follow the Mississippi River Regional Trail through the construction site. It is unsafe and illegal to attempt to enter the construction site. To keep yourself and the construction crews safe, please use East River Road to travel north and south during construction. The Fridley station site is under 24-hour camera surveillance.
FRIDLEY STATION CONSTRUCTION UPDATE:
- Roofing on the station shelters and east and west entrances continued this week.
- Installation of glass for the station shelters and east and west entrances continued this week.
- Painting of the steel on the station platform and the east and west entrances is completed for now and will continue after glass installation occurs.
- The majority of electrical work at the station is completed.
- The majority of work in the tunnel is completed.
- Work on the elevators is on hold until the elevator cabs arrive in mid-October.
- Landscape planting on the east and west sides continued this week.
- Fence installation around the station site continued this week.
The schedule presented in this update is tentative, weather dependent and subject to change.
FOR YOUR SAFETY, PLEASE REMEMBER:
Maintain a safe distance between you and the tracks – Never walk along or on railroad tracks. While Northstar station platforms look inviting, they will not be ready for public use until Northstar launches service on Nov. 16, 2009. Stay away from platform areas.
If you have any questions or concerns about Fridley station construction, please contact Joy Miciano at 651-366-5829 or visit the Northstar website at www.mn-GetOnBoard.com.
If you would like to schedule a Northstar Commuter Rail presentation for an organization, group or meeting, please contact Joy Miciano at 651-366-5829.
CITY OF FRIDLEY - NORTHSTAR STATION:
Shelter roof work on the center platform (September 29, 2009).