Northstar Commuter Rail Grand Opening Events
Northstar Commuter Rail will celebrate its grand opening on Saturday, Nov. 14, 2009, with regular commuter service beginning on the following Monday, Nov. 16. The public is invited to the Nov. 14 events at each Northstar station from Big Lake to downtown Minneapolis.
A limited number of train tickets for free grand opening train rides will be available on Nov. 14 at the Fridley, Coon Rapids-Riverdale, Anoka, Elk River and Big Lake stations. No rides will be provided in downtown Minneapolis that day. However, people may tour a Northstar train at the Target Field Station and receive a free Metro Transit ride coupon good for travel on Northstar at a later specified date.
For more information about Northstar Commuter Rail, operated by Metro Transit, and the grand opening events go to www.metrotransit.org/northstar. To learn about Northstar Link Commuter Coach service between St. Cloud and Big Lake, operated by St. Cloud Metro Bus, go to www.CatchTheLink.com.
Fridley Station Safety
For your safety, please do not attempt to access the Fridley station construction area; this includes crossing the BNSF railroad tracks or attempting to follow the Mississippi River Regional Trail through the construction site. It is unsafe and illegal to attempt to enter the construction site. To keep yourself and the construction crews safe, please use East River Road to travel north and south during construction. The Fridley station site is under 24-hour camera surveillance.
FRIDLEY CONSTRUCTION UPDATE:
Construction activities at the Fridley station are slightly behind schedule; however, crews remain optimistic that the station will be ready for opening day.
- Milling and overlay of 61st Way is scheduled to occur on Friday, October 30; weather permitting.
- Work on the station elevators is scheduled to be completed this week with inspections occurring next week.
- Installation of handrails throughout the station was completed this week.
- Roof work on the station shelters and east and west entrances is scheduled to be completed this week.
- Painting around the station shelters and entrances is scheduled to be completed this week.
- Landscaping occurred this week and will continue next week.
- Sign installations around the station occurred this week and will continue next week.
- Benches are scheduled to be installed next week.
- Final mechanical/plumbing, electrical and building inspections are scheduled to occur next week.
FOR YOUR SAFETY, PLEASE REMEMBER:
Maintain a safe distance between you and the tracks – Never walk along or on railroad tracks. While Northstar station platforms look inviting, they will not be ready for public use until Northstar launches service on Nov. 16, 2009. Stay away from platform areas.
If you have any questions or concerns about Fridley station construction, please contact Joy Miciano at 651-366-5829 or visit the Northstar website at www.mn-GetOnBoard.com.
Fridley station construction partially funded by the Counties Transit Improvement Board (www.mnrides.org).
FRIDLEY CONSTRUCTION PHOTO:
The newly installed east entrance elevator (October 29, 2009).