Northstar train service will begin on Monday, November 16, 2009. Service launch events for the public will be held in station communities Saturday, November 14, 2009. For more information on the start of service or the service launch events, please visit www.metrotransit.org/Northstar.
Please keep in mind that although the stations look completed, punchlist work and system testing still remains. For your safety, please do not attempt to access the station areas until service starts later this year.
For your safety, please do not attempt to access the Fridley station construction area; this includes crossing the BNSF railroad tracks or attempting to follow the Mississippi River Regional Trail through the construction site. It is unsafe and illegal to attempt to enter the construction site. To keep yourself and the construction crews safe, please use East River Road to travel north and south during Fridley station construction.
The schedule provided in this update is tentative, weather dependent and subject to change.
DOWNTOWN MINNEAPOLIS – LRT CONNECTION
- LRT and Northstar system testing continued this week. Testing will continue next week.
- Crews finished milling and paving the LRT track area.
- Communications system testing and programming continued at the LRT station.
- The overhead catenary system (OCS) wires are now live. Please use caution near the tracks and wires. If you have any work near the tracks or wires, you are required to obtain a permit. Please contact Joy Miciano for information on obtaining the permit.
CITIES OF COON RAPIDS, ANOKA, ELK RIVER AND BIG LAKE – NORTHSTAR STATIONS
- Punchlist work continues at the suburban stations this week.
CITY OF FRIDLEY – NORTHSTAR STATION (61ST WAY NE AND EAST RIVER ROAD NE)
- This week, crews continued concrete pours for the station platform, sidewalks and sign footings; concrete pours will continue next week.
- Placement of steel on the west head house continues this week and next week.
- Painting of the steel on the station platform continued this week and is scheduled to continue next week.
- Roof work on the station platform shelters occurred this week.
- Work in the tunnel continues with tiling and electrical work to continue next week.
- Roadway grading on 61st Way occurred this week and will continue through next week. Preparation for work on the sidewalks and road also occurred this week and will continue next week.
- Curb and gutter work continued this week on the cul-de-sac at the east end of 61st Way. Concrete paving of the cul-de-sac will begin next week.
FOR YOUR SAFETY, PLEASE REMEMBER:
Maintain a safe distance between you and the tracks – Never walk along or on railroad tracks. While Northstar station platforms look inviting, they are still under construction and will not be ready for public use until Northstar launches service this fall. Stay away from platform areas.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the Northstar Project, please contact Joy Miciano at 651-366-5829 or visit the Northstar website at www.mn-GetOnBoard.com.
If you would like to schedule a Northstar Commuter Rail presentation for an organization, group or meeting, please contact Joy Miciano.
NORTHSTAR CONSTRUCTION PHOTOS:
CITY OF BIG LAKE - NORTHSTAR STATION:
Train testing at the Big Lake station (August 24, 2009).
CITY OF FRIDLEY - NORTHSTAR STATION:
Painting of station platform shelters (August 28, 2009).