This will be the final weekly Northstar Construction Update for all stations except the Fridley station. Crews will continue punchlist work and system testing through the fall and will continue to be active on all construction sites. Please continue to use caution when walking, bicycling or driving in these areas.
Revenue service testing for both the Hiawatha Light Rail Transit line extension and Northstar Commuter Rail will begin in mid-October. The trains will run on the regular schedule, but will not yet be available to the public. Northstar and LRT extension service will begin on Monday, Nov. 16.
We will continue to send you important project information regarding safety and Northstar operations. Thank you for your patience and cooperation during the construction period. We hope to see you on the train.
Please keep in mind that although the stations look completed, punchlist work and system testing still remains. For your safety, please do not attempt to access the station areas until service starts in November.
Enter Ticket Drawing to Ride Northstar Commuter Rail at Nov. 14 Grand Opening Events
Northstar Commuter Rail will celebrate its grand opening on Saturday, Nov. 14, 2009, with regular commuter service beginning on the following Monday, Nov. 16. The public is invited to the Nov. 14 events at each Northstar station from Big Lake to downtown Minneapolis.
Go to www.metrotransit.org/Northstar/tickets.asp or call 612-349-7479 to enter a drawing for up to four grand opening train ride tickets. The drawing will close at 5 p.m. Friday, Oct. 9. Free train rides to a limited number of people will be available Nov. 14 at the Fridley, Coon Rapids-Riverdale, Anoka, Elk River and Big Lake stations. No rides will be provided in downtown Minneapolis that day. However, people may tour a Northstar train at the Target Field station and receive a free Metro Transit ride coupon good for travel on Northstar at a later specified date.
Free ticket recipients will be notified by email or phone during the week of Oct. 12. A limited number of additional tickets will be available on Nov. 14 at the suburban stations.
For more information about Northstar Commuter Rail, operated by Metro Transit, go to www.metrotransit.org/northstar. To learn about Northstar Link Commuter Coach service between St. Cloud and Big Lake, operated by St. Cloud Metro Bus, go to www.CatchTheLink.com.
Fridley Station Safety
For your safety, please do not attempt to access the Fridley station construction area; this includes crossing the BNSF railroad tracks or attempting to follow the Mississippi River Regional Trail through the construction site. It is unsafe and illegal to attempt to enter the construction site. To keep yourself and the construction crews safe, please use East River Road to travel north and south during construction. The Fridley station site is under 24-hour camera surveillance.
DOWNTOWN MINNEAPOLIS – LRT CONNECTION
- LRT and Northstar system testing continued this week. Testing will continue next week.
- Punchlist work is ongoing at the Northstar and LRT stations.
CITIES OF COON RAPIDS, ANOKA, ELK RIVER AND BIG LAKE – NORTHSTAR STATIONS
- Punchlist work continues at the suburban stations this week.
CITY OF FRIDLEY – NORTHSTAR STATION (61ST WAY NE AND EAST RIVER ROAD NE)
- This week, all concrete pours for the site, including sidewalks on the west side, were completed.
- Installation of station platform pavers continued this week and will be completed next week.
- Installation of roof decking was completed this week.
- Painting of the steel on the station platform and the east and west entrances continued this week and is scheduled to continue next week after glass installation occurs.
- Electrical work in the tunnel occurred this week and will continue next week.
- Work on the elevators occurred this week and will continue next week.
- Paving and striping of both the east and west parking lots were completed this week.
- Installation of the irrigation system on the east and west sides began this week and will continue next week.
- Landscape planting on the east and west sides began this week and will continue next week.
The schedule presented in this update is tentative, weather dependent and subject to change.
FOR YOUR SAFETY, PLEASE REMEMBER:
Maintain a safe distance between you and the tracks – Never walk along or on railroad tracks. While Northstar station platforms look inviting, they are still under construction and will not be ready for public use until Northstar launches service on Nov. 16, 2009. Stay away from platform areas.
If you have any questions or concerns about Fridley station construction, please contact Joy Miciano at 651-366-5829 or visit the Northstar web site at www.mn-GetOnBoard.com.
If you would like to schedule a Northstar Commuter Rail presentation for an organization, group or meeting, please contact Joy Miciano at 651-366-5829.
CITY OF COON RAPIDS - NORTHSTAR STATION
Inter-track fencing installation completed at the Coon Rapids-Riverdale station (September 21, 2009).
CITY OF FRIDLEY - NORTHSTAR STATION
Installation of pavers on the station platform (September 16, 2009).