Enter Ticket Drawing to Ride Northstar Commuter Rail at Nov. 14 Grand Opening Events
Northstar Commuter Rail will celebrate its grand opening on Saturday, Nov. 14, 2009, with regular commuter service beginning on the following Monday, Nov. 16. The public is invited to the Nov. 14 events at each Northstar station from Big Lake to downtown Minneapolis.
Go to www.metrotransit.org/Northstar/tickets.asp or call 612-349-7479 to enter a drawing for up to four grand opening train ride tickets. The drawing will close at 5 p.m. Friday, Oct. 9. Free train rides for a limited number of people will be available Nov. 14 at the Fridley, Coon Rapids-Riverdale, Anoka, Elk River and Big Lake stations. No rides will be provided in downtown Minneapolis that day. However, people may tour a Northstar train at the Target Field Station and receive a free Metro Transit ride coupon good for travel on Northstar at a later specified date.
Free ticket recipients will be notified by email or phone during the week of Oct. 12. A limited number of additional tickets will be available on Nov. 14 at the suburban stations.
For more information about Northstar Commuter Rail, operated by Metro Transit, go to www.metrotransit.org/northstar. To learn about Northstar Link Commuter Coach service between St. Cloud and Big Lake, operated by St. Cloud Metro Bus, go to www.CatchTheLink.com.
Please keep in mind that although most stations look completed, punchlist work and system testing still remains. For your safety, please do not attempt to access the station areas until service starts late this year.
For your safety, please do not attempt to access the Fridley station construction area; this includes crossing the BNSF railroad tracks or attempting to follow the Mississippi River Regional Trail through the construction site. It is unsafe and illegal to attempt to enter any construction site. To keep yourself and the construction crews safe, please use East River Road to travel north and south during construction.
DOWNTOWN MINNEAPOLIS – LRT CONNECTION
CITIES OF COON RAPIDS, ANOKA, ELK RIVER AND BIG LAKE – NORTHSTAR STATIONS
- Punchlist work continues at the suburban stations this week.
CITY OF FRIDLEY – NORTHSTAR STATION (61ST WAY NE AND EAST RIVER ROAD NE)
- This week, concrete pours for sidewalks on the west side continued and will be completed next week.
- Installation of station platform pavers began this week and will be completed next week.
- Installation of window sills, rain gutters, door frames and roof decking began this week and will be completed next week.
- Painting of the steel on the station platform and the east and west entrances continued this week and is scheduled to continue next week.
- Electrical work in the tunnel occurred this week and will continue next week.
- Work on the elevators occurred this week and will continue next week.
- Milling and paving of 61st Way is on hold for now.
- Installation of the irrigation system on the east and west sides began this week and will be completed next week.
The schedule presented in this update is tentative, weather dependent and subject to change.
FOR YOUR SAFETY, PLEASE REMEMBER:
Look BOTH ways! — Trains can approach at any time, from either direction. Always look both directions and listen for warning signals or horns before crossing the tracks in your vehicle or on foot at designated railroad crossings.
If you have any questions or concerns about station construction, please contact Joy Miciano at 651-366-5829 or visit the Northstar website at www.mn-GetOnBoard.com.
If you would like to schedule a Northstar Commuter Rail presentation for an organization, group or meeting, please contact Joy Miciano at 651-366-5829.
NORTHSTAR CONSTRUCTION PHOTOS:
CITY OF MINNEAPOLIS – LRT CONNECTION:
Hiawatha LRT ballpark station (September 8, 2009).
CITY OF FRIDLEY – NORTHSTAR STATION:
Tile work in the Fridley station tunnel (September 16, 2009).