Enter Ticket Drawing to Ride Northstar Commuter Rail at Nov. 14 Grand Opening Events
Northstar Commuter Rail will celebrate its grand opening on Saturday, Nov. 14, 2009, with regular commuter service beginning the following Monday. The public is invited to the Nov. 14 events at each Northstar station from Big Lake to downtown Minneapolis.
Go to www.metrotransit.org/Northstar/tickets.asp or call 612-349-7479 to enter a drawing for up to four grand opening train ride tickets. The drawing will close at 5 p.m. Friday, Oct. 9. Free train rides for a limited number of people will be available Nov. 14 at the Fridley, Coon Rapids- Riverdale, Anoka, Elk River and Big Lake stations. No rides will be provided in downtown Minneapolis that day. However, people may tour a Northstar train at the Target Field Station and receive a free Metro Transit ride coupon good for travel on Northstar at a later specified date.
Free ticket recipients will be notified by email or phone during the week of Oct. 12. A limited number of additional tickets will be available on Nov. 14 at the suburban stations.
For more information about Northstar Commuter Rail, operated by Metro Transit, go to www.metrotransit.org/northstar. To learn about Northstar Link Commuter Coach service between St. Cloud and Big Lake, operated by St. Cloud Metro Bus, go to www.CatchTheLink.com.
Please keep in mind that although the stations look completed, punchlist work and system testing still remains. For your safety, please do not attempt to access the station areas until service starts later this year.
For your safety, please do not attempt to access the Fridley station construction area; this includes crossing the BNSF railroad tracks or attempting to follow the Mississippi River Regional Trail through the construction site. It is unsafe and illegal to attempt to enter the construction site. To keep yourself and the construction crews safe, please use East River Road to travel north and south during construction.
The schedule provided in this update is tentative, weather dependent and subject to change.
DOWNTOWN MINNEAPOLIS – LRT CONNECTION
- LRT and Northstar system testing continued this week. Testing will continue next week.
- Communications system testing and programming continued at the LRT station.
- Punchlist work is ongoing at the Northstar and LRT stations.
CITIES OF COON RAPIDS, ANOKA, ELK RIVER AND BIG LAKE – NORTHSTAR STATIONS
- Punchlist work continues at the suburban stations this week.
CITY OF FRIDLEY – NORTHSTAR STATION (61ST WAY NE AND EAST RIVER ROAD NE)
- This week, crews finished the concrete pours for the station platform. Concrete pours will continue next week for sidewalks.
- Installation of station platform pavers begins next week.
- Installation of window sills, rain gutters, door frames and roof decking begins next week.
- Painting of the steel on the station platform continued this week and is scheduled to continue next week.
- Tile work in the tunnel was completed this week; electrical work in the tunnel continues next week.
- Preparation for work on the sidewalks and roadway on 61st Way also occurred this week and will continue next week. Milling of 61st Way is scheduled to occur at the end of next week.
- Concrete paving of the cul-de-sac at the east end of 61st Way was completed this week.
FOR YOUR SAFETY, PLEASE REMEMBER:
Maintain a safe distance between you and the tracks – Never walk along or on railroad tracks. While Northstar station platforms look inviting, they are still under construction and will not be ready for public use until Northstar launches service this fall. Stay away from platform areas. If you have any questions or concerns regarding the Northstar Project, please contact Joy Miciano at 651-366-5829 or visit the Northstar website at www.mn-GetOnBoard.com.
If you would like to schedule a Northstar Commuter Rail presentation for an organization, group or meeting, please contact Joy Miciano.
NORTHSTAR CONSTRUCTION PHOTOS:
CITY OF MINNEAPOLIS – LRT STATION:
Northstar platform (September 8, 2009).
CITY OF FRIDLEY – NORTHSTAR STATION
Fridley station platform and shelter construction (September 3, 2009).