This weekend, crews will test the Hiawatha Light Rail Transit (LRT) line extension. Testing will begin on Friday, August 7 at 11:00pm. Testing will also occur on Saturday, August 8th and Sunday, August 9th from 6:00am to 10:00pm. Testing will not affect light rail service to and from the Warehouse District station.
Please keep in mind that although most suburban stations look complete, punchlist work and system testing still remains. For your safety, please do not attempt to access the station areas until service starts late this year.
For your safety, please do not attempt to access the Fridley station construction area; this includes crossing the BNSF tracks or attempting to follow the Mississippi River Regional Trail through the Fridley station site. It is unsafe and illegal to attempt to enter any construction site. To keep yourself and the construction crews safe, please use East River Road to travel north and south during Fridley station construction.
The schedule provided in this update is tentative, weather dependent and subject to change.
FOR YOUR SAFETY, PLEASE REMEMBER:
Maintain a safe distance between you and the tracks – Never walk along or on railroad tracks. While Northstar station platforms look inviting, they are still under construction and will not be ready for public use until Northstar launches service this fall. Stay away from platform areas.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the Northstar Project, please contact Brandt Richardson at (651) 366-5829 or by e-mail at email@example.com or visit the Northstar website at www.mn-GetOnBoard.com.
If you would like to schedule a Northstar Commuter Rail presentation for an organization, group or meeting, please contact Brandt Richardson.
DOWNTOWN MINNEAPOLIS – LRT CONNECTION
- This week, crews finished glass installation at the LRT platforms.
- Communications system testing and programming finished at both the LRT and Northstar stations this week.
- Crews began installation of the handrail on the LRT platform.
- The overhead catenary system (OCS) wires are now live. Please use caution near the tracks and wires. If you have any work near the tracks or wires, you are required to obtain a permit. Please contact Brandt Richardson for information on obtaining the permit.
CITIES OF COON RAPIDS, ANOKA, ELK RIVER AND BIG LAKE – NORTHSTAR STATIONS
- Punchlist work continues at the suburban stations this week.
CITY OF FRIDLEY – NORTHSTAR STATION (61ST WAY NE AND EAST RIVER ROAD NE)
- This week, crews began pouring concrete for the station platform, including the footings for the ticket vending machines. This work will continue through next week.
- Forming and pouring of the east head house walls finished this week.
- Crews began setting the structural steel at the station platform this week. Structural steel work will continue through next week at the platform.
- Next week, crews will begin setting the structural steel at the east head house.
NORTHSTAR CONSTRUCTION PHOTOS:
CITY OF MINNEAPOLIS – LRT STATION
Crews test the LRT extension as a Light Rail Vehicle arrives at the new ballpark station (August 1, 2009).
CITY OF FRIDLEY – NORTHSTAR STATION
Work on the station platform (July 28, 2009).