Construction in downtown Minneapolis continues as crews work on the Hiawatha Light Rail Transit (LRT) extension and the Northstar Commuter Rail station. Punchlist work continues at the commuter stations in Big Lake, Elk River, Anoka and Coon Rapids.
System testing also continues as crews are testing both the Northstar train system and the LRT extension.
Please keep in mind that although the stations look completed, punchlist work and system testing still remains. For your safety, please do not attempt to access the station areas until service starts late this year.
Also, for your safety, please do not attempt to access the Fridley station construction area; this includes crossing the BNSF railroad tracks or attempting to follow the Mississippi River Regional Trail through the construction site. It is unsafe and illegal to attempt to enter any construction site. To keep yourself and the construction crews safe, please use East River Road to travel north and south during Fridley station construction.
The schedule provided in this update is tentative, weather dependent and subject to change.
DOWNTOWN MINNEAPOLIS – LRT CONNECTION
- Crews began milling and paving the LRT track area. This work is scheduled to finish early next week. There will be no impact to vehicular or pedestrian traffic.
- Communications system testing and programming continued at both the LRT and Northstar stations this week.
- Installation of the hand rail at the LRT station was completed.
- The overhead catenary system (OCS) wires are now live. Please use caution near the tracks and wires. If you have any work near the tracks or wires, you are required to obtain a permit. Please contact Joy Miciano for information on obtaining the permit.
CITIES OF COON RAPIDS, ANOKA, ELK RIVER AND BIG LAKE – NORTHSTAR STATIONS
- Punchlist work continues at the suburban stations this week.
CITY OF FRIDLEY — NORTHSTAR STATION (61ST WAY NE AND EAST RIVER ROAD NE)
- This week, crews continued concrete pours for the station platform; concrete work on the platform will continue next week.
- Preparation for curb and gutter work on the northside of 61st Way occurred this week with work scheduled to be completed next week. Once the curb and gutter work is complete, crews will begin grading for sidewalks and roadway.
- Painting of the steel on the station platform began this week and is scheduled to continue next week.
- Work in the tunnel continues with tiling and electrical work to continue next week.
FOR YOUR SAFETY, PLEASE REMEMBER:
Look BOTH ways! Trains can approach at any time, from either direction. Always look both directions and listen for warning signals or horns before crossing the tracks in your vehicle or on foot at designated railroad crossings.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the Northstar Project, please contact Joy Miciano at 651-366-5829 or visit the Northstar website at www.mn-GetOnBoard.com.
If you would like to schedule a Northstar Commuter Rail presentation for an organization, group or meeting, please contact Joy Miciano.
NORTHSTAR CONTRUCTION PHOTOS
CITY OF COON RAPIDS - NORTHSTAR STATION
Installation of inter-track fencing at the Coon Rapids station (August 18, 2009).
CITY OF FRIDLEY - NORTHSTAR STATION
Eastside station platform walkway (August 25, 2009).