Construction in downtown Minneapolis continues as crews work on the Hiawatha Light Rail Transit (LRT) extension and the Northstar Commuter Rail station. Punchlist work continues at the commuter stations in Big Lake, Elk River, Anoka and Coon Rapids.
System testing also continues as crews are testing both the Northstar train system and the LRT extension.
Please keep in mind that although the stations look completed, punchlist work and system testing still remains. For your safety, please do not attempt to access the station areas until service starts late this year.
For your safety, please do not attempt to access the Fridley station construction area; this includes crossing the BNSF railroad tracks or attempting to follow the Mississippi River Regional Trail through the construction site. It is unsafe and illegal to attempt to enter the construction site. To keep yourself and the construction crews safe, please use East River Road to travel north and south during construction.
The schedule provided in this update is tentative, weather dependent and subject to change.
DOWNTOWN MINNEAPOLIS – LRT CONNECTION
- Crews will mill and pave the LRT track area next week. There will be no impact to vehicular or pedestrian traffic.
- Communications system testing and programming continued at both the LRT and Northstar stations this week.
- The overhead catenary system (OCS) wires are now live. Please use caution near the tracks and wires. If you have any work near the tracks or wires, you are required to obtain a permit. Please contact Joy Miciano for information on obtaining the permit.
CITIES OF COON RAPIDS, ANOKA, ELK RIVER AND BIG LAKE – NORTHSTAR STATIONS
- Punchlist work continues at the suburban stations this week.
CITY OF FRIDLEY – NORTHSTAR STATION - (61ST WAY NE AND EAST RIVER ROAD NE)
- This week, crews continued concrete pours for the station platform; concrete work on the platform will continue next week.
- Preparation for curb and gutter work on the northside of 61st Way occurred this week with work scheduled to be completed next week. Once the curb and gutter work is complete, crews will begin work on the cul-de-sac at the east end of 61st Way.
- Crews finished setting the structural steel for the center head house this week. Next week, crews will begin setting the structural steel at the east head house. Painting of the steel on the station platform is scheduled to begin next week.
- Work in the tunnel continues with tiling to occur next week.
FOR YOUR SAFETY, PLEASE REMEMBER:
Maintain a safe distance between you and the tracks – Never walk along or on railroad tracks. While Northstar station platforms look inviting, they are still under construction and will not be ready for public use until Northstar launches service this fall. Stay away from platform areas.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the Northstar Project, please contact Joy Miciano at 651-366-5829 or visit the Northstar website at www.mn-GetOnBoard.com.
If you would like to schedule a Northstar Commuter Rail presentation for an organization, group or meeting, please contact Joy Miciano.
NORTHSTAR CONSTRUCTION PHOTOS
CITY OF MINNEAPOLIS - LRT STATION:
Crews test the LRT extension (August 12, 2009).
CITY OF FRIDLEY - NORTHSTAR STATION:
Eastside station platform walkway (August 18, 2009).