Construction in downtown Minneapolis continues as crews work on the Hiawatha Light Rail Transit (LRT) station and the Northstar Commuter Rail station. Punchlist work continues at the commuter stations in Big Lake, Elk River, Anoka and Coon Rapids.
Please keep in mind that although the stations look completed, punchlist work and system testing still remains. For your safety, please do not attempt to access the station areas until service starts late this year.
For your safety, please do not attempt to access the Fridley station construction area; this includes crossing the BNSF railroad tracks or attempting to follow the Mississippi River Regional Trail through the construction site. It is unsafe and illegal to attempt to enter the construction site.
To keep yourself and the construction crews safe, please use East River Road to travel north and south during construction.
The schedule provided in this update is tentative, weather dependent and subject to change.
DOWNTOWN MINNEAPOLIS – LRT CONNECTION
- LRT systems testing continued this week.
- Communications system testing and programming continued at both the LRT and Northstar stations this week.
- Crews continue installation of the handrail on the LRT platform.
- The overhead catenary system (OCS) wires are now live. Please use caution near the tracks and wires. If you have any work near the tracks or wires, you are required to obtain a permit. Please contact Joy Miciano for information on obtaining the permit.
CITY OF COON RAPIDS, ANOKA, ELK RIVER AND BIG LAKE – NORTHSTAR STATIONS
- Punchlist work continues at the suburban stations this week.
CITY OF FRIDLEY – NORTHSTAR STATION (61ST WAY NE and EAST RIVER ROAD NE)
- This week, crews continued concrete pours for the station platform, including the footings for the kiosks and trash cans; concrete work on the platform will continue next week.
- Forming and pouring of the east and center head house footings finished this week.
- Crews finished setting the structural steel at the station platform this week.
- Next week, crews will begin setting the structural steel at the east head house.
- Electrical work in the east and west parking lots, the tunnel and platform continues through next week.
FOR YOUR SAFETY, PLEASE REMEMBER:
Use designated railroad crossings only – Do not drive around crossing arms for any reason. Trains may not be visible or may be approaching faster than they appear. Freight trains crossing through Northstar station areas will not slow down. Do not cross the tracks in other areas regardless of whether fencing is present.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the Northstar Project, please contact Joy Miciano at 651-366-5829 or visit the Northstar website at www.mn-GetOnBoard.com.
If you would like to schedule a Northstar Commuter Rail presentation for an organization, group or meeting, please contact Joy Miciano.
NORTHSTAR CONSTRUCTION PHOTOS
CITY OF MINNEAPOLIS – LRT STATION:
Crews test the LRT extension (August 1, 2009).
CITY OF FRIDLEY – NORTHSTAR STATION:
Work on the station platform (August 12, 2009)