This week, a Northstar train consisting of one locomotive and two coach cars went on the first trial run beyond the yard of the Vehicle Maintenance Facility in Big Lake. A photo of the successful test is included below. Testing of the Northstar system will continue through the summer; if you are attempting to view a Northstar train, please only do so from a safe distance.
Also, please keep in mind that although several of the stations look completed, some finishing work and system testing still remains. For your safety, please do not attempt to access the station areas.
For your safety, please do not attempt to access the Fridley construction area; this includes crossing the BNSF tracks or attempting to follow the Mississippi River Regional Trail through the site. It is unsafe and illegal to attempt to enter any construction site.
To keep yourself and the construction crews safe, please use East River Road to travel north and south during Fridley station construction.
The schedule provided in this update is tentative, weather dependent and subject to change.
FOR YOUR SAFETY, PLEASE REMEMBER:
Maintain a safe distance between you and the tracks – Never walk along or on railroad tracks. While Northstar station platforms look inviting, they are still under construction and will not be ready for public use until Northstar launches service this fall. Stay away from platform areas.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the Northstar Project, please contact Brandt Richardson at 651-366-5829 or by e-mail at email@example.com or visit the Northstar website at www.mn-GetOnBoard.com.
If you would like to schedule a Northstar Commuter Rail presentation for an organization, group or meeting, please contact Brandt Richardson.
DOWNTOWN MINNEAPOLIS – LRT CONNECTION
- This week, crews finished painting and electrical work at the LRT platform.
- Electrical and communication systems installation at the commuter rail platform was completed. Crews will be testing the communication systems next week.
- Next week, crews will begin testing of the OCS system.
CITY OF COON RAPIDS – NORTHSTAR STATION (RIVERDALE PARK-AND-RIDE)
- Crews finished painting, installing station signage, and the shelter and pedestrian overpass trim this week.
- The construction staging area lot was paved and striped this week.
CITY OF ANOKA – NORTHSTAR STATION (JOHNSON STREET AND 4TH AVENUE)
- Crews will return to the Anoka site next week to complete final punchlist construction items.
CITY OF ELK RIVER – NORTHSTAR STATION (HIGHWAY 10/169 AND 171ST AVENUE)
- Crews finished paving and striping the east half of the park-and-ride lot this week.
- Next week, crews will complete remaining concrete work in the west half of the lot. All Commuter Coach riders will be required to park in the east half of the lot.
- Crews seeded the site.
CITY OF BIG LAKE – NORTHSTAR STATION (HIGHWAY 10 AND COUNTY ROAD 43) AND VMF
- Crews are completing the station shelter trim and are seeding the site.
- Work at the VMF has been completed.
CITY OF FRIDLEY – NORTHSTAR STATION (61ST WAY NE AND EAST RIVER ROAD NE)
- Concrete pours continue this week as crews pour the walls of the center head house,stairs of the west head house and the deck of the east head house.
- Crews continued electrical work in the east park-and-ride lot. Curb and gutter pours in the east lot began this week. Electrical and concrete work in the lot will continue next week.
- Crews will pave the first course of asphalt in the east park-and-ride lot next week.
- Backfilling around the center and east head houses continued this week.
- Crews finished removing the sheet piling from around the west tracks this week.
NORTHSTAR CONSTRUCTION PHOTOS
NORTHSTAR TRAIN TESTING
Photo courtesy of Steve Glischinski (June 29, 2009)
CITY OF FRIDLEY - NORTHSTAR STATION
Crews pour the stairs in the west head house (July 1, 2009)