Next week, crews will energize the overhead catenary system (OCS) wires of the Hiawatha Light Rail Transit (LRT) extension. Please use utmost caution while in the area. If you are planning any work near the track or the wires, you will be required to obtain a permit. Please contact Brandt Richardson for more information on the permitting process.
Also, please keep in mind that although several of the stations look completed, some finishing work and system testing still remains. For your safety, please do not attempt to access the station areas.
For your safety, please do not attempt to access the Fridley construction area; this includes crossing the BNSF tracks or attempting to follow the Mississippi River Regional Trail through the Fridley station site. It is unsafe and illegal to attempt to enter the construction site. To keep yourself and the construction crews safe, please use East River Road to travel north and south during Fridley station construction.
The schedule provided in this update is tentative, weather dependent and subject to change.
DOWNTOWN MINNEAPOLIS – LRT CONNECTION
- This week, crews poured the final course of concrete on the LRT platform.
- Communications system testing and programming continues at both the LRT and commuter rail stations.
- Electrical system installation at the commuter rail platform completed this week.
- Energization and testing of the OCS wires of the LRT extension will begin next week.
CITY OF COON RAPIDS – NORTHSTAR STATION (RIVERDALE PARK-AND-RIDE)
- Crews began seeding the inbound side of the station. Seeding work will be completed next week.
- Next week, crews will install fire prevention curtains in the pedestrian overpass.
CITY OF ANOKA – NORTHSTAR STATION (JOHNSON STREET AND 4TH AVENUE)
- Crews worked on punchlist items at the Anoka station this week.
CITY OF ELK RIVER – NORTHSTAR STATION (HIGHWAY 10/169 AND 171ST AVENUE)
- Crews installed the final concrete islands in the west half of the park-and-ride lot. Next week, crews will landscape the islands.
CITY OF BIG LAKE – NORTHSTAR STATION (HIGHWAY 10 AND COUNTY ROAD 43) AND VMF
- Punchlist work at the Big Lake station site will continue through next week.
- Work at the VMF has been completed.
CITY OF FRIDLEY – NORTHSTAR STATION (61ST WAY NE AND EAST RIVER ROAD NE)
- Work on the ticket and passenger shelter footings began this week. Crews dug and began concrete pours for the shelter footings at the center platform area. Concrete pours will continue next week.
- Crews began paving the east park-and-ride lot this week. Paving is expected to be completed next week.
- Concrete work at the center head house continues as crews began pouring the stairs this week. Work on the center head house stairs will complete next week.
- Backfilling around the head houses continues as work on the walls and decks progresses.
FOR YOUR SAFETY, PLEASE REMEMBER:
Use designated railroad crossings only – Do not drive around crossing arms for any reason. Trains may not be visible or may be approaching faster than they appear. Freight trains crossing through Northstar station areas will not slow down. Do not cross the tracks in other areas regardless of whether fencing is present.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the Northstar Project, please contact Brandt Richardson at 651-366-5829 or by e-mail at email@example.com or visit the Northstar website at www.mn-GetOnBoard.com.
If you would like to schedule a Northstar Commuter Rail presentation for an organization, group or meeting, please contact Brandt Richardson.
NORTHSTAR CONSTRUCTION PHOTOS
CITY OF MINNEAPOLIS - COMMUTER RAIL STATION:
Progress on the commuter rail station (July 6, 2009)
CITY OF COON RAPIDS - COMMUTER RAIL STATION:
View of the elevator in the pedestrian overpass (July 2, 2009)
CITY OF ANOKA - COMMUTER RAIL STATION:
Northstar stops at the Anoka station during the test run (June 29, 2009)
CITY OF FRIDLEY - COMMUTER RAIL STATION:
Crews form the ticket shelter footings (July 9, 2009)