This week, crews are paving and striping the east half of the park-and-ride lot at the Elk River site. Next week, crews will complete remaining concrete work in the west half of the site. Beginning Tuesday, June 30 or Wednesday, July 1, Commuter Coach riders will be required to park in the east half of the park-and-ride lot.
Also next week, crews will remove the station fencing at the downtown Minneapolis site and crews will pave the construction staging area.
For your safety, please do not try to access the commuter rail platform at any site; this includes crossing the BNSF tracks or attempting to follow the Mississippi River Regional Trail through the Fridley construction site. To keep yourself and the construction crews safe, please use East River Road to travel north and south during Fridley station construction. It is unsafe and illegal to attempt to enter any of the construction sites. All station platforms will be closed until service begins late this fall.
The schedule provided in this update is tentative, weather dependent and subject to change.
DOWNTOWN MINNEAPOLIS – LRT CONNECTION
- LRT station shelter painting finished this week. Electrical work will finish next week.
- Communications system installation finished at the commuter rail platform. Crews will test the systems next week.
- Crews continue electrical work at the commuter rail platform. This work is expected to be completed next week.
- Next week, crews will removed the station site fence and pave the construction staging area lot.
CITY OF COON RAPIDS – NORTHSTAR STATION (RIVERDALE PARK-AND-RIDE)
- Elevator installation continues and is expected to be completed next week.
- Crews continue to paint the interior of the pedestrian overpass. Painting will be completed next week.
- Station signage installation began this week. Installation is expected to be completed next week.
CITY OF ANOKA – NORTHSTAR STATION (JOHNSON STREET AND 4TH AVENUE)
- Crews finished the station shelter trim this week.
CITY OF ELK RIVER – NORTHSTAR STATION (HIGHWAY 10/169 AND 171ST AVENUE)
- Crews paved and striped the east half of the park-and-ride lot this week.
- Next week, crews will complete remaining concrete work in the west half of the lot. All Commuter Coach riders will be required to park in the east half of the lot.
- Crews seeded the site.
CITY OF BIG LAKE – NORTHSTAR STATION (HIGHWAY 10 AND COUNTY ROAD 43) AND VMF
- Crews are completing the station shelter trim and are seeding the site.
- Work at the VMF has been completed.
CITY OF FRIDLEY – NORTHSTAR STATION (61ST WAY NE AND EAST RIVER ROAD NE)
- Crews finished grading the east park-and-ride lot this week. Electrical work in the lot will continue through next week.
- Next week, curb and gutter will be poured in the east lot.
- Work on the east head house continues as crews are forming and pouring the head house walls. Next week, crews will begin forming the deck for the east head house.
- Crews poured the deck of the center head house this week.
- The stairs in the west head house were formed this week.
FOR YOUR SAFETY, PLEASE REMEMBER:
Maintain a safe distance between you and the tracks – Never walk along or on railroad tracks. While Northstar station platforms look inviting, they are still under construction and will not be ready for public use until Northstar launches service this fall. Stay away from platform areas.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the Northstar Project, please contact Brandt Richardson at 651-366-5829 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the Northstar website at www.mn-GetOnBoard.com.
If you would like to schedule a Northstar Commuter Rail presentation for an organization, group or meeting, please contact Brandt Richardson.
NORTHSTAR CONSTRUCTION PHOTOS
CITY OF MINNEAPOLIS - COMMUTER RAIL STATION
Progress on the LRT platform (June 23, 2009)
CITY OF COON RAPIDS - NORTHSTAR STATION
Painting the interior of the pedestrian walkway (June 11, 2009)
CITY OF ELK RIVER - NORTHSTAR STATION
Crews place sidewalk at the track crossing (June 17, 2009)
CITY OF FRIDLEY - NORTHSTAR STATION
View of the east head house (June 18, 2009)