The majority of work at the Elk River station was completed this week. Crews finished painting the station shelters, concrete and electrical work, and shelter roofing. Installation of station signage and paving and striping of the parking lot will finish next week.
This week, crews paved the first course of asphalt on the west parking lot and Ashton Avenue in Fridley. Work on Ashton Avenue is now complete and the road is completely open. Final paving and striping will occur late summer or early fall when most of the Fridley station construction has been completed.
For your safety, please do not attempt to access the Fridley construction area; this includes crossing the BNSF tracks or attempting to follow the Mississippi River Regional Trail through the site. It is unsafe and illegal to attempt to enter the construction site.
To keep yourself and the construction crews safe, please use East River Road to travel north and south during station construction.
The schedule provided in this update is tentative, weather dependent and subject to change.
DOWNTOWN MINNEAPOLIS - LRT CONNECTION
- Traffic signal lighting at the intersections of 5th Street N and 1st Avenue N, 2nd Avenue N and 3rd Avenue N was connected this week.
- LRT platform work continues as crews install metal panels in the shelter roofs.
- Crews installed shelter glass and station signage
CITY OF COON RAPIDS - NORTHSTAR STATION (RIVERDALE PARK-AND-RIDE)
- Elevator installation continues and is expected to be completed next week.
- Crews continue to paint the interior of the pedestrian overpass.
- Station signage installation began this week. Installation is expected to be completed next week.
CITY OF ANOKA - NORTHSTAR STATION (JOHNSON STREET AND 4TH AVENUE)
- Crews paved and striped the north and south parking lots this week.
CITY OF ELK RIVER - NORTHSTAR STATION (HIGHWAY 10/169 AND 171ST AVENUE)
- Most of the work at the Elk River station was completed this week.
- Paving and striping of the parking lot will be completed next week.
- Crews will also install station signage next week.
CITY OF BIG LAKE - NORTHSTAR STATION (HIGHWAY 10 AND COUNTY ROAD 43) AND VMF
- Crews are installing benches in the platform shelters.
- Work at the VMF has been completed.
CITY OF FRIDLEY - NORTHSTAR STATION (61ST WAY NE AND EAST RIVER ROAD NE)
- Backfilling the west and center head houses began this week. Backfilling will finish after crews complete the decks on the west and center head houses.
- Crews formed and began concrete pours on the west head house deck this week. Next week, crews will form and pour the center head house deck.
- The east parking lot was graded this week. Utility work in the east lot will begin next week.
FOR YOUR SAFETY, PLEASE REMEMBER:
Look BOTH ways! – Northstar and freight trains can approach at any time, from either direction. Always look both directions and listen for warning signals or horns before crossing the tracks.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the Northstar Project, please contact Brandt Richardson at 651-366-5829 or by e-mail at email@example.com or visit the Northstar website at www.mn-GetOnBoard.com.
If you would like to schedule a Northstar Commuter Rail presentation for an organization, group or meeting, please contact Brandt Richardson.
NORTHSTAR CONSTRUCTION PHOTOS
CITY OF MINNEAPOLIS - COMMUTER RAIL STATION
Crews install station shelter glass at the commuter rail platform (June 17, 2009)
CITY OF COON RAPIDS - NORTHSTAR STATION
Coon Rapids station and pedestrian overpass progress (June 17, 2009)
CITY OF ANOKA - NORTHSTAR STATION
Crews pave the north park-and-ride lot (June 16, 2009)
CITY OF ELK RIVER - NORTHSTAR STATION
Elk River station progress (June 17, 2009)
CITY OF FRIDLEY - NORTHSTAR STATION
Crews paving the west parking lot (June 17, 2009)