On Friday, June 12 at 7:30 pm, crews will close the Warehouse Light Rail Transit (LRT) station to connect the overhead catenary systems of the LRT extension and the current system. The station will reopen Saturday, June 13 at 8:00 am. Crews will work as safely and quickly as possible to attempt to complete the work in one evening. However, crews have the Warehouse station closure tentatively scheduled from 7:30 am Saturday, June 13 to 8:00 am Sunday, June 14.
For your safety, please do not attempt to access the Fridley station construction area; this includes crossing the BNSF tracks or attempting to follow the Mississippi River Regional Trail through the site. It is unsafe and illegal to attempt to enter the construction site.
To keep yourself and the construction crews safe, please use East River Road to travel north and south during Fridley station construction.
The first two Northstar coach cars arrived at the Vehicle Maintenance Facility this week. The remaining 16 cars will be delivered later this summer.
The schedule provided in this update is tentative, weather dependent and subject to change.
DOWNTOWN MINNEAPOLIS - LRT CONNECTION
- This week, OCS installation continues. Work will close the Warehouse LRT station overnight on Friday and, if necessary, Saturday night.
- Electrical work and shelter painting continues at the LRT station.
- Crews continue LRT track work. This work is expected to be completed next week.
- Commuter rail shelter painting finished this week.
- Glass and signage installation at the commuter rail station will begin next week.
CITY OF COON RAPIDS - NORTHSTAR STATION (RIVERDALE PARK-AND-RIDE)
- Glass installation has been completed in the pedestrian overpass and outbound station shelters. Installation in the inbound station shelter will continue.
- Elevator installation continues. Work is nearing completion on the outbound side.
- Crews planted trees, shrubs and flowers in the station planter beds.
CITY OF ANOKA - NORTHSTAR STATION (JOHNSON STREET AND 4TH AVENUE)
- Landscaping work continues.
- Next week, crews will pave the final course of asphalt on both parking lots.
CITY OF ELK RIVER - NORTHSTAR STATION (HIGHWAY 10/169 AND 171ST AVENUE)
- Crews continued painting and roofing the station shelters this week.
- Glass installation began and will continue through next week.
- Landscapers have delivered trees to the station site.
CITY OF BIG LAKE - NORTHSTAR STATION (HIGHWAY 10 AND COUNTY ROAD 43) AND VMF
CITY OF FRIDLEY - NORTHSTAR STATION (61ST WAY NE AND EAST RIVER ROAD NE)
- Crews finished the walls for the center and west head houses this week. Next week, crews will backfill around the head houses.
- Work on the east head house walls will begin next week.
- Crews continued work on the west parking lot this week, placing class five and pouring the curb and gutter. Crews plan to lay the first course of asphalt next week.
FOR YOUR SAFETY, PLEASE REMEMBER:
Look BOTH ways! – Northstar and freight trains can approach at any time, from either direction. Always look both directions and listen for warning signals or horns before crossing the tracks.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the Northstar Project, please contact Brandt Richardson at 651-366-5829 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the Northstar website at www.mn-GetOnBoard.com.
If you would like to schedule a Northstar Commuter Rail presentation for an organization, group or meeting, please contact Brandt Richardson.
NORTHSTAR CONSTRUCTION PHOTOS
CITY OF MINNEAPOLIS - COMMUTER RAIL STATION
Commuter rail platform progress (June 9, 2009)
CITY OF COON RAPIDS - NORTHSTAR STATION
Glass and handrail installation in the pedestrian overpass (June 9, 2009)
CITY OF ELK RIVER - NORTHSTAR STATION
Crews set pavers at the Elk River station (June 9, 2009)
CITY OF BIG LAKE - VEHICLE MAINTENANCE FACILITY
First two coach cars arrive at the Vehicle Maintenance Facility (June 9, 2009)
CITY OF FRIDLEY - NORTHSTAR STATION
View of inside the center head house (June 8, 2009)