Construction continued this past week at the commuter rail stations in Big Lake, Elk River, Anoka, Coon Rapids, Fridley and Minneapolis. Work also progressed on the Light Rail Transit (LRT) connection and the Vertical Circulation Building in downtown Minneapolis. The schedule provided in this update is tentative, weather dependent and subject to change.
DOWNTOWN MINNEAPOLIS – LRT CONNECTION
- This week, crews worked on the Northstar station platform; including electrical and track alignment work.
- Crews also began painting the commuter rail station shelters this week. Painting will continue next week.
- The emergency access sidewalk at the commuter rail station was poured this week.
- Crews continued to work on the overhead catenary system and the platform for the Hiawatha LRT extension.
CITY OF COON RAPIDS – NORTHSTAR STATION (RIVERDALE PARK-AND-RIDE)
- Painting continued on the outbound station shelters and pedestrian overpass. Painting the outbound side will continue through next week.
- Next week, crews will begin painting the inbound side.
- Crews began installing the elevators in the pedestrian overpass.
- Glass installation in the pedestrian overpass began.
- Next week, crews will finish the remaining station sidewalks.
CITY OF ANOKA – NORTHSTAR STATION (JOHNSON STREET AND 4TH AVENUE)
- Crews continued painting the station shelters; this work will finish next week.
- Next week, crews will install the station shelter benches.
- Crews will begin paving the north parking lot next week.
CITY OF ELK RIVER – NORTHSTAR STATION (HIGHWAY 10/169 AND 171ST AVENUE)
- Crews continued to pour sidewalks and pave the remainder of the park-and-ride lot. This work will continue next week.
- Light poles in the park-and-ride lot were installed.
CITY OF BIG LAKE – NORTHSTAR STATION (HIGHWAY 10 AND COUNTY ROAD 43) AND VMF
- Crews installed station shelter doors, benches and permanent signage this week.
- The Vehicle Maintenance Facility is complete.
CITY OF FRIDLEY - NORTHSTAR STATION (61ST WAY NE AND EAST RIVER ROAD NE)
- This week, crews completed utility work on the west side of the tracks. One lane of Ashton Avenue has reopened to traffic; the other lane needs to be repaved.
- Crews poured the footings of the west head house this week. Next week, crews will begin pouring the walls of the west head house.
- Next week, crews will begin work on the east head house. The head house will be used to access the pedestrian tunnel once construction is complete.
FOR YOUR SAFETY, PLEASE REMEMBER:
Look BOTH ways! – Northstar and freight trains can approach at any time, from either direction. Always look both directions and listen for warning signals or horns before crossing the tracks.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the Northstar Project, please contact Brandt Richardson at 651-366-5829 or by e-mail at email@example.com or visit the Northstar website at www.mn-GetOnBoard.com.
If you would like to schedule a Northstar Commuter Rail presentation for an organization, group or meeting, please contact Brandt Richardson.
NORTHSTAR CONSTRUCTION PHOTOS
CITY OF MINNEAPOLIS – COMMUTER RAIL STATION
Track work in downtown Minneapolis (May 11, 2009)
CITY OF COON RAPIDS - NORTHSTAR STATION
Pedestrian overpass glass installation (May 13, 2009)
CITY OF ANOKA - NORTHSTAR STATION
Painters priming the station shelter window frames (May 12, 2009)
CITY OF ELK RIVER - NORTHSTAR STATION
Crews pour sidewalk on the outbound side of the platform (May 11, 2009)
CITY OF BIG LAKE - NORTHSTAR STATION
Station signage installed (April 30, 2009)
CITY OF FRIDLEY - NORTHSTAR STATION
Work on the west head house (May 12, 2009)