This week, crews installed the high voltage wire that will power the Light Rail Transit (LRT) extension along 5th Street North between 1st Avenue North and 6th Avenue North. Over the next two months, crews will be running equipment along the tracks in that area in preparation for service launch late this fall. Please refrain from crossing or parking on the tracks as this area is a live construction site and will soon be an active LRT line.
The schedule provided in this update is tentative, weather dependent and subject to change.
DOWNTOWN MINNEAPOLIS – LRT CONNECTION
- This week, crews continued electrical work at the LRT station. Painting the station shelters will begin next week.
- Track work for the LRT extension and the Northstar Commuter Rail continue.
- Painting and electrical work continue at the commuter rail platform.
CITY OF COON RAPIDS – NORTHSTAR STATION (RIVERDALE PARK-AND-RIDE)
- Glass installation at the station shelters resumed this week.
- Crews continue painting the pedestrian overpass.
- Roofing and elevator installation continue.
CITY OF ANOKA – NORTHSTAR STATION (JOHNSON STREET AND 4TH AVENUE)
- Crews are forming ditches and have filled planters and park-and-ride lot islands with soil in preparation for landscaping work.
CITY OF ELK RIVER – NORTHSTAR STATION (HIGHWAY 10/169 AND 171ST AVENUE)
- The concrete bus lane was poured this week.
- Crews resumed work on the station shelters this week.
CITY OF BIG LAKE – NORTHSTAR STATION (HIGHWAY 10 AND COUNTY ROAD 43) AND VMF
- Glass installation in the station shelters began this week.
- The Vehicle Maintenance Facility is complete.
CITY OF FRIDLEY – NORTHSTAR STATION (61ST WAY NE AND EAST RIVER ROAD NE)
- This week, crews continued work on the west and center head houses for the pedestrian tunnel. Work on the head houses will continue next week.
- Crews placed crushed limestone on the east half of Ashton Avenue. Next week, crews will pour curb and gutter, then pave the lane.
- Crews installed a new water main and fire hydrant near the corner of 61st Avenue NE and Main Street.
FOR YOUR SAFETY, PLEASE REMEMBER:
Use designated railroad crossings only – Do not drive around crossing arms for any reason. Trains may not be visible or may be approaching faster than they appear. Freight trains crossing through Northstar station areas will not slow down. Do not cross the tracks in other areas regardless of whether fencing is present.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the Northstar Project, please contact Brandt Richardson at 651-366-5829 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the Northstar website at www.mn-GetOnBoard.com.
If you would like to schedule a Northstar Commuter Rail presentation for an organization, group or meeting, please contact Brandt Richardson.
NORTHSTAR CONSTRUCTION PHOTOS
CITY OF MINNEAPOLIS - COMMUTER RAIL STATION
Crews install pavers at the Northstar platform (May 27, 2009)
CITY OF COON RAPIDS - NORTHSTAR STATION
Installation of the station shelter glass (May 26, 2009)
CITY OF ANOKA - NORTHSTAR STATION
Shaping ditches in preparation for landscaping work (May 27, 2009)
CITY OF ELK RIVER - NORTHSTAR STATION
Crews pour the bus drive at the Elk River station (May 26, 2009)
CITY OF FRIDLEY - NORTHSTAR STATION
Crews work on the center head house (May 28, 2009)