Construction continued this past week at the commuter rail stations in Big Lake, Elk River, Anoka, Coon Rapids and Minneapolis. Work also progressed on the Light Rail Transit (LRT) connection and the Vertical Circulation Building in downtown Minneapolis. The schedule provided in this update is tentative, weather dependent and subject to change.
DOWNTOWN MINNEAPOLIS – LRT CONNECTION
- This week, crews worked on the Northstar station platform; including electrical and track alignment work.
- Electrical work also continued in the interior of the Vertical Circulation Building.
- Crews continued to work on the overhead catenary system and the platform for the Hiawatha LRT extension.
CITY OF COON RAPIDS – NORTHSTAR STATION (RIVERDALE PARK-AND-RIDE)
- Crews continued roofing work on the station shelters and the pedestrian overpass. This work will continue through next week.
- Painting began on the outbound station shelters and pedestrian overpass. Painting the outbound side will continue through next week.
- Next week, crews will begin painting the inbound side.
CITY OF ANOKA – NORTHSTAR STATION (JOHNSON STREET AND 4TH AVENUE)
- Crews continued pouring sidewalks at the Anoka station this week.
- Next week, crews will begin painting the station shelters.
- Crews will also begin paving the north parking lot next week.
CITY OF ELK RIVER – NORTHSTAR STATION (HIGHWAY 10/169 AND 171ST AVENUE)
- Crews continued general site work.
- Pouring sidewalks and paving the remainder of the park-and-ride lot is expected to begin next week.
CITY OF BIG LAKE – NORTHSTAR STATION (HIGHWAY 10 AND COUNTY ROAD 43) AND VMF
- Crews continued painting station shelters at the Big Lake station.
- Work began installing station signage this week.
- The Vehicle Maintenance Facility is complete.
CITY OF FRIDLEY – NORTHSTAR STATION (61ST WAY NE AND EAST RIVER ROAD NE)
- This past week, crews excavated the west side and began excavating the center and east side of the pedestrian tunnel. Excavation work will continue next week.
- Crews finished shaping the west parking lot this past week.
- Utility work on the west side of the tracks began. This work will continue through next week.
- Next week, crews will begin work on concrete walls on the west side.
FOR YOUR SAFETY, PLEASE REMEMBER: Look BOTH ways! – Northstar and freight trains can approach at any time, from either direction. Always look both directions and listen for warning signals or horns before crossing the tracks.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the Northstar Project, please contact Brandt Richardson at 651-366-5829 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
City of Minneapolis - Commuter Rail Station
Crews insall the roof on the station shelters (April 16, 2009)
City of Coon Rapids - Commuter Rail Station
Crews pour bus drive walkway (April 22, 2009)
City of Fridley - Commuter Rail Station
West end of the pedestrian tunnel excavated and opened (April 27, 2009)