Construction continued this past week at the commuter rail stations in Big Lake, Elk River, Anoka, Coon Rapids and Minneapolis. Work also progressed on the Light Rail Transit (LRT) connection and the Vertical Circulation Building in downtown Minneapolis. The schedule provided in this update is tentative, weather dependent and subject to change.
Crews continued utility work on the west side of the Fridley station train tracks this week. This work is expected to be completed next week. To complete the work, the contractor will need to close portions of Ashton Avenue. Pedestrians, bicyclists and motorists should use East River Road as an alternative route.
DOWNTOWN MINNEAPOLIS – LRT CONNECTION
- This week, crews worked on the Northstar station platform; including electrical and track alignment work.
- Crews also began painting the commuter rail station shelters this week. Painting will continue next week.
- The emergency access sidewalk at the commuter rail station was poured this week.
- Crews continued to work on the overhead catenary system and the platform for the Hiawatha LRT extension.
CITY OF COON RAPIDS – NORTHSTAR STATION (RIVERDALE PARK-AND-RIDE)
- Crews installed hand railings on the outbound platform.
- Painting continued on the outbound station shelters and pedestrian overpass. Painting the outbound side will continue through next week.
- Next week, crews will begin painting the inbound side.
- Crews began installing station signage this week. This work is expected to be completed next week.
- Next week, crews will begin installing the elevators in the pedestrian overpass.
CITY OF ANOKA – NORTHSTAR STATION (JOHNSON STREET AND 4TH AVENUE)
- Crews began painting the station shelters, this work will continue next week.
- The platform light poles were installed this week.
- Crews will begin paving the north parking lot next week.
CITY OF ELK RIVER – NORTHSTAR STATION (HIGHWAY 10/169 AND 171ST AVENUE)
- Crews poured sidewalks and paved the remainder of the park-and-ride lot.
CITY OF BIG LAKE – NORTHSTAR STATION (HIGHWAY 10 AND COUNTY ROAD 43) AND VMF
- Crews began installing station shelter doors and continued installation of the station signage.
- Next week, crews will set the station benches.
- The Vehicle Maintenance Facility is complete.
CITY OF FRIDLEY – NORTHSTAR STATION (61ST WAY NE AND EAST RIVER ROAD NE)
- This week, crews excavated the drainage pond on the east side of the tracks.
- Crews also began work on the underground plumbing and electrical systems in the center and west sides of the track this week. Work on the east side is expected to begin next week.
- Concrete work began this week as crews began pouring the elevator floors and footing walls.
- Next week, crews will begin grading the west parking lot area.
FOR YOUR SAFETY, PLEASE REMEMBER: Look BOTH ways! – Northstar and freight trains can approach at any time, from either direction. Always look both directions and listen for warning signals or horns before crossing the tracks.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the Northstar Project, please contact Brandt Richardson at 651-366-5829 or by e-mail at email@example.com or visit the Northstar website at www.mn-GetOnBoard.com.
If you would like to schedule a Northstar Commuter Rail presentation for an organization, group or meeting, please contact Brandt Richardson.
City of Minneapolis - Commuter Rail Station
Finishing the second commuter rail track in downtown Minneapolis (May 6, 2009)
City of Coon Rapids - Northstar Station
Sign installed at the Coon Rapids station (May 6, 2009)
City of Anoka - Northstar Station
Bus apron poured on 5th Street (May 1, 2009)
City of Elk River - Northstar Station
Crews pour sidewalk on the outbound side of the platform (May 5, 2009)
City of Big Lake - Northstar Station
Installing bike lockers at the Big Lake station (May 5, 2009)
City of Fridley - Northstar Station
West elevator room floor being poured (May 5, 2009)