Most of the civil work at the Anoka station has now been completed. Crews will begin landscaping the site next week, which, once finished, will complete the majority of work at the station. While work at the Anoka station will be nearing completion and crews may not be at the site everyday, it is still an active construction site. Please do not attempt to access the site during this time.
Next week, Ashton Avenue (near the Fridley station) will reopen entirely as crews will place gravel on the half that is currently closed. Crews will repave Ashton Avenue when they are on-site to pave the west park-and-ride lot in the coming weeks.
DOWNTOWN MINNEAPOLIS – LRT CONNECTION
- Crews worked on the Northstar station platform; including electrical and track alignment work.
- Crews finished painting the commuter rail station shelters this week.
- Crews continued work on the overhead catenary system and the platform for the Hiawatha LRT extension.
CITY OF COON RAPIDS – NORTHSTAR STATION (RIVERDALE PARK-AND-RIDE)
- Crews finished painting the outbound side of the pedestrian overpass this week. Next week, crews will begin painting the inbound side.
- Installation of the elevators in the pedestrian overpass continues.
- Next week, crews will resume roofing the pedestrian overpass.
CITY OF ANOKA – NORTHSTAR STATION (JOHNSON STREET AND 4TH AVENUE)
- Crews finished painting, roofing, paving the north park-and-ride lot, and installing the station doors and benches this week.
- Next week, crews will begin landscaping the site.
CITY OF ELK RIVER – NORTHSTAR STATION (HIGHWAY 10/169 AND 171ST AVENUE)
- Crews continued to pour sidewalks and pave the remainder of the park-and-ride lot. This work will complete next week.
- Next week, crews will move from Anoka to Elk River to begin painting and roofing the station shelters and to finish concrete pours at the station platforms.
CITY OF BIG LAKE – NORTHSTAR STATION (HIGHWAY 10 AND COUNTY ROAD 43) AND VMF
- Work continues on setting benches and glazing the shelters.
- The Vehicle Maintenance Facility is complete.
CITY OF FRIDLEY – NORTHSTAR STATION (61ST WAY NE AND EAST RIVER ROAD NE)
- This week, crews began work on the footings for the pedestrian tunnel head houses. Crews dug, formed, and poured the east and center head house footings.
- Crews also began pouring walls for the west head house. This work will continue next week.
- Work also continues on grading the park-and-ride lots.
FOR YOUR SAFETY, PLEASE REMEMBER:
Look BOTH ways! – Northstar and freight trains can approach at any time, from either direction. Always look both directions and listen for warning signals or horns before crossing the tracks.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the Northstar Project, please contact Brandt Richardson at 651-366-5829 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the Northstar website at www.mn-GetOnBoard.com.
If you would like to schedule a Northstar Commuter Rail presentation for an organization, group or meeting, please contact Brandt Richardson.
NORTHSTAR CONSTRUCTION PHOTOS
CITY OF MINNEAPOLIS - COMMUTER RAIL STATION
Track work in downtown Minneapolis (May 11, 2009)
CITY OF COON RAPIDS - NORTHSTAR STATION
Elevator installation in the pedestrian overpass (May 15, 2009)
CITY OF ANOKA - NORTHSTAR STATION
Painters priming the station shelter window frames (May 12, 2009)
CITY OF ELK RIVER - NORTHSTAR STATION
Concrete work in the Elk River station bus lane (April 21, 2009)
CITY OF FRIDLEY - NORTHSTAR STATION
Crews pour concrete for the center head house footing (May 21, 2009)