Construction continued this week at the commuter rail stations in Big Lake, Elk River, Anoka, Coon Rapids and Minneapolis. Work also progressed on the Light Rail Transit (LRT) connection and the Vertical Circulation Building (VCB) in downtown Minneapolis.
Construction crews finished sheet piling work at the Fridley station site this week. The work was completed without needing to drive sheeting at night. We appreciate your patience during sheet piling and your continued patience as station construction progresses.
The schedule provided in this update is tentative, weather dependent and subject to change.
DOWNTOWN MINNEAPOLIS – LRT CONNECTION
- Crews removed and replaced the sidewalk on the northwest and northeast corners at the intersection of 1st Avenue N and 5th Street N.
- Crews continued work on the Northstar station platform, installing electrical systems and shelter roofing.
- Work also continued in the interior of the Vertical Circulation Building.
- Next week, crews will continue work on the overhead catenary system and the platform for the Hiawatha LRT extension.
CITY OF COON RAPIDS – NORTHSTAR STATION (RIVERDALE PARK-AND-RIDE)
- Crews continued roofing work on the station shelters and the pedestrian overpass. This work will continue through next week.
- Painting began on the outbound station shelters and pedestrian overpass. Crews will begin painting the inbound side next week.
- Crews poured the station sidewalks this week.
CITY OF ANOKA – NORTHSTAR STATION (JOHNSON STREET AND 4TH AVENUE)
- Crews began pouring sidewalks at the Anoka station. This work will continue next week.
- Next week, crews will resume work on the station platforms.
CITY OF ELK RIVER – NORTHSTAR STATION (HIGHWAY 10/169 AND 171ST AVENUE)
- Crews poured curbs and continued general site work.
- Pouring sidewalks and paving the remainder of the park-and-ride lot is expected to begin in early May.
CITY OF BIG LAKE – NORTHSTAR STATION (HIGHWAY 10 AND COUNTY ROAD 43) AND VMF
- Crews finished priming and began painting the station shelters this week.
- The Vehicle Maintenance Facility is complete.
CITY OF FRIDLEY – NORTHSTAR STATION (61ST WAY NE AND EAST RIVER ROAD NE)
- Excavation of the drainage pond on the west side finished this week.
- With sheet piling finished crews will begin to excavate and work on the pedestrian tunnel that was previously installed next week.
FOR YOUR SAFETY, PLEASE REMEMBER:
Maintain a safe distance between you and the tracks – Never walk along or on railroad tracks. While Northstar station platforms look inviting, they are still under construction and will not be ready for public use until Northstar launches service this fall. Stay away from platform areas.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the Northstar Project, please contact Brandt Richardson at 651-366-5829 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the Northstar website at www.mn-GetOnBoard.com.
If you would like to schedule a Northstar Commuter Rail presentation for an organization, group or meeting, please contact Brandt Richardson.
City of Minneapolis - Commuter Rail Station
Crews install the roof on the station shelters (April 16,2009)
City of Coon Rapids - Northstar Station
Crews pour bus drive walkway (April 21, 2009)
Installing drywall framing and sheeting on south tower (April 17, 2009)
City of Fridley - Northstar Station
Crews sheet piling on the east side of the BNSF tracks (April 21, 2009)