Construction continued this week at the commuter rail stations in Big Lake, Elk River, Anoka, Coon Rapids and Minneapolis. Work also progressed on the Light Rail Transit (LRT) connection and the Vertical Circulation Building (VCB) in downtown Minneapolis.
Construction crews finished sheet piling work at the Fridley station site this week. The work was completed without needing to drive sheeting at night. We appreciate your patience during sheet piling and your continued patience as station construction progresses.
Continue reading "Sidewalks Take Shape at Anoka and Coon Rapids-Riverdale Stations" >>
Local artist Parker McDonald, Monticello, has been selected to design the public artwork to be installed at the Northstar Commuter Rail Big Lake Station.
McDonald was chosen by an art selection committee of the Northstar Corridor Development Authority (NCDA) after a nationwide call for artists that began last fall. Big Lake City Councilmember Chuck Heitz, an NCDA member who served on the art selection committee, said McDonald’s sculpture proposal depicting geese in flight caught his attention.
Continue reading "Monticello Artist to Create Public Art for Big Lake Station" >>
- Sheet piling continues during the week of April 13 and is expected to continue through the end of the week.
- Some sheet piling will occur during four-hour windows that could occur at any time, day or night. The access schedule to allow crews to sheet pile is determined by BNSF Railway.
- Residents around the construction area should be aware that noise and vibrations are associated with the sheet piling work.
- We apologize for any inconvenience this work may cause and assure you that crews will work as quickly as possible, while maintaining a safe work environment and creating a quality product.
Drainage Pond Excavation
- Excavation work for the drainage pond, west of the railway, may begin the week of April 13.
The schedule provided in this update is tentative, weather dependent and subject to change.
Continue reading "Sheet Piling to Continue Through Week of April 13 at Fridley Site " >>
- Crews began clearing and grubbing work at the site this week.
- Work also began on the installation of a track monitoring system that will observe the status of the BNSF tracks.
Continue reading "Track Monitoring System Installation Begins at Fridley Station" >>
On Thursday, April 2, 2009, an open house will be held for the Northstar Vertical Circulation Building public art. The artist will be present to share his design and field questions from the public. The open house will be held between 11:30am and 1:00pm at the Hennepin County Central Library, 300 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis, in the Doty Board Room on the second floor of the Library’s main commons area.
Continue reading "Spring Construction Scheduled; Commencing at Stations" >>