On Thursday, April 2, 2009, an open house will be held for the Northstar Vertical Circulation Building public art. The artist will be present to share his design and field questions from the public. The open house will be held between 11:30am and 1:00pm at the Hennepin County Central Library, 300 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis, in the Doty Board Room on the second floor of the Library’s main commons area.
The artist selected to develop the public art for the new Twins ballpark will also be on hand to present his design and field questions. This piece will be located in inset panels along the northeast (LRT) side of the ballpark along 5th Street North. Please visit www.mn-GetOnBoard.com for more information.
The schedule presented in this update is tentative, weather dependent and subject to change.
DOWNTOWN MINNEAPOLIS – LRT CONNECTION
- In March, Northstar crews continued structural steel and electrical work on the station platforms and electrical work in the Vertical Circulation Building. Crews will continue this work in April.
- Work progressed on the OCS and light poles along 5th Street North in March and will continue in April.
- In mid-April, crews expect to resume commuter rail track work along the station site.
- The OCS pole work and the initial track work set-up will result in brief lane closures along 5th Street North, west of 2nd Avenue North. Please be cautious when walking, bicycling or driving near the construction site.
CITIES OF COON RAPIDS, ANOKA, ELK RIVER, BIG LAKE – NORTHSTAR STATIONS
- In March, crews continued light pole installation, including the lights along the platform at the Big Lake station.
- In April, crews will install light poles in the Elk River station park-and-ride lot. Crews will also resume work on the retaining wall south of the station platform.
- In mid-April, crews will mobilize at the Coon Rapids site. Work will include roofing the pedestrian overpass, grading sidewalks and installation of light poles on the platforms.
CITY OF BIG LAKE – VEHICLE MAINTENANCE FACILITY
- Construction activities have been completed at the Vehicle Maintenance Facility. Metro Transit is currently hiring staff for the VMF.
If you have any questions or concerns about the Northstar Project, please contact Brandt Richardson at 651-366-5829 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the Northstar Commuter Rail website at www.mn-GetOnBoard.com.
CITY OF MINNEAPOLIS – LRT EXTENSION
Crews install signal heads at the 3rd Avenue N and 5th Street N intersection (March 26, 2009)
CITY OF BIG LAKE – COMMUTER RAIL STATION
Platform light poles at the Big Lake station (March 16, 2009)