As construction activities at the station sites have now been significantly reduced for winter, this will be the last weekly construction update until work resumes in the spring. From this point on, updates will be distributed on a monthly basis and may include other important messages about the Northstar Commuter Rail. In the event that significant work needs to be completed over the winter, an update will be distributed on an as-needed basis. This update details the work that will occur at the construction sites over the winter months.
Also attached are photos illustrating how far along construction has come. The first photo shows what each site looked like prior to construction, the second shows what each site currently looks like. We appreciate all your patience and cooperation during a very productive construction season. Get ready to ride the line in 2009!
DOWNTOWN MINNEAPOLIS – LRT CONNECTION
- Over the winter crews will:
- Install electrical systems on the LRT platform.
- Install the overhead catenary system poles for the LRT extension.
- Install and wire traffic signal poles and cabinets.
- Erect the structural steel for the commuter rail station.
- Begin electrical work on the Vertical Circulation Building that the ballpark is currently constructing.
- While this work is not expected to have significant impacts on traffic or pedestrian access, the Minneapolis site is still active and should be approached with caution.
CITY OF COON RAPIDS, ANOKA, ELK RIVER, BIG LAKE – NORTHSTAR STATIONS
- Work at the Coon Rapids, Anoka, Elk River and Big Lake stations has been reduced for the winter. Construction activities on the stations will resume in the spring.
- Crews will install new light poles in the parking lots and near the platforms over the winter.
CITY OF BIG LAKE – VEHICLE MAINTENANCE FACILITY
- Construction activities have been completed at the Vehicle Maintenance Facility.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the Northstar Project, please contact Brandt Richardson at 651-366-5829 or by e-mail at email@example.com or visit the newly redesigned Northstar website at www.mn-GetOnBoard.com.
Construction Site Photos
CITY OF MINNEAPOLIS – LRT EXTENSION
5th Street and 3rd Avenue before construction.
5th Street and 2nd Avenue. (December 10, 2008)
CITY OF COON RAPIDS – COMMUTER RAIL STATION
Coon Rapids site before construction began.
Current view of the Coon Rapids station. (November 25, 2008)
CITY OF ANOKA – COMMUTER RAIL STATION
Anoka station prior to construction.
Anoka station site. (November 25, 2008)
CITY OF ELK RIVER – COMMUTER RAIL STATION
Elk River station site before construction activities.
Work on the Elk River station in the final weeks of the construction season.
CITY OF BIG LAKE - Commuter Rail Station
Big Lake station site before construction.
Big Lake station nearly complete.