Construction activities at the Big Lake, Anoka and Coon Rapids stations have been suspended for the winter; however, construction activities will continue to progress in downtown Minneapolis on the Hiawatha Light Rail Transit (LRT) extension and the commuter rail station and the Elk River station as weather allows. Crews are scheduled to complete concrete work at the Elk River station this week. Work will continue at the Elk River site next week, but is tentatively scheduled to reduce significant construction activities for the winter on Friday, December 12. Work will resume in the spring, but the site will still be considered an active construction zone.
All station locations are still active construction zones and public access to the stations will not be allowed during the period of reduced work. At the Elk River and Coon Rapids-Riverdale sites, park-and-ride lots for Commuter Coach riders will continue to be accessible. The schedule described in this update is tentative, weather dependent and subject to change.
DOWNTOWN MINNEAPOLIS – LRT CONNECTION
- With the completion of the sidewalk on 5th Street, east of 1st Avenue last week, all concrete work has now finished for the winter.
- To prepare for winter, crews began cleaning the site and removing any unnecessary pedestrian control measures. While work will be reduced over the winter, crews will work through the winter and the site will be an active construction area.
- Electrical work at the LRT station shelter continued this week.
CITY OF ELK RIVER – NORTHSTAR STATION (HIGHWAY 10/169 AND 171ST AVENUE)
- Concrete pours on both the inbound and outbound platforms were scheduled to be completed this week. Concrete will be covered to allow for proper formation next week.
- Roofing work on the station shelters continued this week on the inbound side. This work is scheduled to be completed early next week. Crews will begin roofing work on the outbound side next week.
- Work at the Elk River station will continue until December 12, after which, work will be significantly reduced over the winter. Work at the Elk River station will resume in the spring.
CITY OF COON RAPIDS, CITY OF ANOKA, CITY OF BIG LAKE – NORTHSTAR STATIONS
- Work at the Coon Rapids, Anoka and Big Lake stations have been reduced for the winter. Work on the stations will resume in the spring.
CITY OF BIG LAKE – VEHICLE MAINTENANCE FACILITY
- Cleaning and system testing continue as the VMF nears completion.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the Northstar Project, please contact Brandt Richardson at 651-366-5829 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the newly redesigned Northstar website at www.mn-GetOnBoard.com.
Construction Site Photos
CITY OF MINNEAPOLIS – LRT EXTENSION
View of the commuter rail platform from the 5th Street bridge. (December 3, 2008)
CITY OF COON RAPIDS – COMMUTER RAIL STATION
Coon Rapids pedestrian overpass. (November 25, 2008)
CITY OF ANOKA – COMMUTER RAIL STATION
Anoka station platforms. (November 25, 2008)
CITY OF ELK RIVER – COMMUTER RAIL STATION
Crews work on the station platforms in Elk River. (November 25, 2008)
CITY OF BIG LAKE - Commuter Rail Station
View of the northeast side of the VMF. (December 3, 2008)