Construction activities continue to progress at the commuter rail stations in Big Lake, Elk River, Anoka, Coon Rapids and Minneapolis, as well as the Vehicle Maintenance Facility (VMF) in Big Lake and the Light Rail Transit (LRT) connection in Minneapolis. The schedule provided in this update is tentative, weather dependent and subject to change.
DOWNTOWN MINNEAPOLIS – LRT CONNECTION
- This week, crews finished embedded track work in the 1st Avenue and 5th Street intersection. Crews will finish concrete pours on the embedded track early next week and then begin sidewalk work along 5th Street.
- Concrete pours on the embedded track along 5th Street between 2nd Avenue and 3rd Avenue continued this week.
- Work progresses on the commuter rail station as crews continued work on the station retaining wall and the tracks.
CITY OF COON RAPIDS – NORTHSTAR STATION (RIVERDALE PARK-AND-RIDE)
- This week, crews finished forming and pouring the sidewalks and the light pole bases around the station.
- Work on the station shelter roofing continued this week. This work is scheduled to be completed next week.
- Platform work will continue next week as crews are scheduled to lay brick pavers on the platform and complete the light pole bases around the station.
CITY OF ANOKA – NORTHSTAR STATION (JOHNSON STREET AND 4TH AVENUE)
- This week, crews graded and paved the park-and-ride lot on the outbound side of the station. The final pavement will be placed on both the inbound and outbound park-and-ride lots next year.
- Crews began forming and pouring the sidewalks on the outbound side. Sidewalk work will continue next week.
- Next week, crews are scheduled to pour the curbs on the outbound side.
CITY OF ELK RIVER – NORTHSTAR STATION (HIGHWAY 10/169 AND 171ST AVENUE)
- Crews continued work on the existing park-and-ride lot and the station platform this week. Utility work on the platform area is scheduled to be completed next week.
- Work on the outbound platform continues as crews began to form and pour the platform rail edge. This work is expected to be completed next week.
- Crews began erecting the station shelters for the inbound platform this week. The shelters are scheduled to be set into place on Monday, November 10.
CITY OF BIG LAKE – NORTHSTAR STATION (HIGHWAY 10 AND COUNTY ROAD 43) AND VMF
- Crews began painting the final coats on the shelters this week.
- Miscellaneous installations will continue next week as weather permits.
- System installation, interior work and painting continue at the VMF.
- Work began this week on paving the access roads and the VMF parking lot.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the Northstar Project, please contact Brandt Richardson at 651-366-5829 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the newly redesigned Northstar website at http://www.mn-getonboard.com/.
Construction Site Photos
CITY OF MINNEAPOLIS – LRT EXTENSION
Welding of embedded track on 1st Avenue/5th Street. (November 4, 2008)
CITY OF COON RAPIDS – COMMUTER RAIL STATION
Crews forming sidewalks at the Coon Rapids station. (October 23, 2008)
CITY OF ANOKA – COMMUTER RAIL STATION
Inbound and outbound platform. (October 22, 2008)
CITY OF ELK RIVER – COMMUTER RAIL STATION
View of the Elk River station site. (October 22, 2008)
CITY OF BIG LAKE - Commuter Rail Station
Painters begin primer coat on the station shelters. (November 3, 2008)