Construction activities at the suburban station sites will be significantly reduced over the winter. Work will resume again in the spring. However, the station locations are still active construction zones and public access to the stations will not be allowed during the winter months. At the Elk River and Coon Rapids-Riverdale sites, park-and-ride lots for Commuter Coach riders will continue to be accessible.
Construction activities at the Big Lake, Anoka and Coon Rapids stations have been suspended for the winter; however, construction activities will continue to progress in downtown Minneapolis on the Hiawatha Light Rail Transit (LRT) extension and the commuter rail station and the Elk River station as weather allows. The schedule described in this update is tentative, weather dependent and subject to change.
DOWNTOWN MINNEAPOLIS – LRT CONNECTION
- Next week, crews will complete work adjacent to the Hiawatha Warehouse Station platform. LRT riders will again be able to access the platform from the 1st Avenue end of the station.
- This week, crews paved 5th Street, including the 1st Avenue and 2nd Avenue intersections. Another lane of 1st Avenue has now reopened.
- Crews are scheduled to complete sidewalk work on 5th Street, east of 1st Avenue by midweek next week.
- Work progresses on the commuter rail station as crews continue work on the station retaining wall and the tracks.
CITY OF COON RAPIDS – NORTHSTAR STATION (RIVERDALE PARK-AND-RIDE)
- This week, crews completed installing door frames in the elevator equipment room in the pedestrian overpass. Work has now been significantly reduced for the winter and will resume in the spring.
CITY OF ANOKA– NORTHSTAR STATION (JOHNSON STREET AND 4TH AVENUE)
- Crews completed paving a temporary sidewalk on 4th Avenue this week. The Anoka station construction has now been suspended for the winter.
CITY OF ELK RIVER –NORTHSTAR STATION (HIGHWAY 10/169 AND 171ST AVENUE)
- Concrete pours on both the inbound and outbound platforms continued this week. Work at the Elk River station will continue for as long as weather allows and crews plan to complete rail edge concrete pours before suspension of work for the season.
CITY OF BIG LAKE – NORTHSTAR STATION (HIGHWAY 10 AND COUNTY ROAD 43) AND VEHICLE MAINTENANCE FACILITY (VMF)
- Work at the Big Lake station is on hold and will resume in the spring.
- Installation of the generator began this week as construction of the VMF nears completion.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the Northstar Project, please contact Brandt Richardson at 651-366-5829 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the newly redesigned Northstar website at www.mn-GetOnBoard.com.
Construction Site Photos
CITY OF MINNEAPOLIS – LRT EXTENSION
Final pavement on 2nd Avenue N as crews pave the 1st Avenue and 5th Street intersection. (November 19, 2008)
CITY OF COON RAPIDS – COMMUTER RAIL STATION
Coon Rapids pedestrian overpass. (November 19, 2008)
CITY OF ANOKA – COMMUTER RAIL STATION
Anoka outbound platform and parking lot. (November 6, 2008)
CITY OF ELK RIVER – COMMUTER RAIL STATION
Crews work on the station shelters in Elk River. (November 19, 2008)
CITY OF BIG LAKE - Commuter Rail Station
Big Lake station shelters. (November 6, 2008)