Construction activities at the suburban station sites will be significantly reduced over the winter. Work will resume again in the spring. However, the station locations are still active construction zones and public access to the stations will not be allowed during the period of reduced work. At the Elk River and Coon Rapids-Riverdale sites, park-and-ride lots for Commuter Coach riders will continue to be accessible.
Construction activities at the Big Lake, Anoka and Coon Rapids stations have been suspended for the winter; however, construction activities will continue to progress in downtown Minneapolis on the Hiawatha Light Rail Transit (LRT) extension and the commuter rail station and the Elk River station as weather allows. The schedule described in this update is tentative, weather dependent and subject to change.
DOWNTOWN MINNEAPOLIS – LRT CONNECTION
- On Monday, November 24, crews poured the sidewalk on the north side of 5th Street, east of 1st Avenue. The freshly poured sidewalk has been covered to allow the concrete to form properly. The sidewalk will reopen completely by the end of this week. The reopening of the sidewalk will conclude all major closures in Minneapolis for the winter.
- This week, crews began striping the pavement that was placed last week. If crews can reopen the 5th Street bridge between 2nd Avenue and 3rd Avenue, traffic will be in the permanent alignment by the end of the week.
- Work progresses on the commuter rail station as crews continue work on the station retaining wall and the tracks.
CITY OF ELK RIVER – NORTHSTAR STATION (HIGHWAY 10/169 AND 171ST AVENUE)
- Concrete pours on both the inbound and outbound platforms continued this week. Concrete work at the platform will continue through next week.
- Work on the station shelters will continue next week and continue until work is suspended for the winter.
- If weather allows, work at the Elk River station will continue until December 10, after which, work will be significantly reduced over the winter. Work at Elk River will resume in the spring.
CITY OF COON RAPIDS, CITY OF ANOKA, CITY OF BIG LAKE – NORTHSTAR STATIONS
- Work at the Coon Rapids, Anoka and Big Lake stations has been reduced for the winter.
- Work on the stations will resume in the spring.
CITY OF BIG LAKE – VEHICLE MAINTENANCE FACILITY
- Cleaning and system testing continue as the VMF nears completion.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the Northstar Project, please contact Brandt Richardson at 651-366-5829 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the newly redesigned Northstar website at www.mn-GetOnBoard.com.
Construction Site Photos
CITY OF MINNEAPOLIS – LRT EXTENSION
Crews pour curb and gutter along 5th Street. (November 21, 2008)
CITY OF COON RAPIDS – COMMUTER RAIL STATION
Coon Rapids pedestrian overpass. (November 25, 2008)
CITY OF ANOKA – COMMUTER RAIL STATION
Anoka station platforms. (November 25, 2008)
CITY OF ELK RIVER – COMMUTER RAIL STATION
Crews work on the station platforms in Elk River. (November 25, 2008)
CITY OF BIG LAKE - Commuter Rail Station
Big Lake station. (November 25, 2008)