This week, crews finished work on the new park-and-ride lot at the Elk River station. Work will begin next week on the existing lot and the station platform. All Elk River commuter coach riders should park in the newly completed lot beginning Monday, October 20.
Construction activities continue to progress at the commuter rail stations in Big Lake, Elk River, Anoka, Coon Rapids and Minneapolis, the Vehicle Maintenance Facility (VMF) in Big Lake and the Light Rail Transit (LRT) connection in Minneapolis. The schedule provided in this update is tentative, weather dependent and subject to change.
DOWNTOWN MINNEAPOLIS – LRT CONNECTION
CLOSURES-1ST AVENUE AT 5TH STREET
- On Monday, October 6, crews excavated the northwest quadrant of the 1st Avenue and 5th Street intersection to extend track through the intersection. All southbound traffic on 1st Avenue will travel in the two easternmost lanes. Traffic attempting to head west on 5th Street will be routed east on 6th Street, north on Hennepin Avenue and then west on 5th Street. Please follow the posted detour signs during this work. This work is expected to be completed next week.
- Next week, upon completion of the northwest quadrant of the 1st Avenue and 5th Street intersection, crews will begin excavating the northeast quadrant of the intersection. Traffic heading southbound on 1st Avenue will travel in the two westernmost lanes. LRT riders will not be able to exit the Warehouse District station at 1st Avenue during this work. Riders will be directed to the Hennepin Avenue exit of the Warehouse District station.
- Upon completion of the track and road work in the 1st Avenue and 5th Street intersection, crews will begin the removal and reconstruction of the sidewalk on the northwest and northeast corners of the 1st Avenue and 5th Street intersection.
- Crews continued track work in the 5th Street and 2nd Avenue intersection this week. This work is expected to be completed next week.
- This week, the intersection of 3rd Avenue and 5th Street was paved. Crews plan to pave the 2nd Avenue and 5th Street intersection and 5th Street between 1st Avenue and 2nd Avenue next week.
- Crews continued to pour concrete along the rail on 5th Street between 1st Avenue and 2nd Avenue. This work will continue through next week.
CITY OF COON RAPIDS – NORTHSTAR STATION (RIVERDALE PARK-AND-RIDE)
- Crews completed the steel work on the overpass and station shelters this week.
- Next week crews will begin painting, beginning with the station shelters and moving to the pedestrian overpass.
- Crews will begin pouring concrete along the pedestrian bridge and the stairwell landings next week. This work is scheduled to continue into the following week.
CITY OF ANOKA – NORTHSTAR STATION (JOHNSON STREET AND 4TH AVENUE)
- This week, crews graded and poured the sidewalks on the inbound side of the station.
- Crews continued concrete pours on the outbound side. Concrete pours on both the inbound and the outbound side of the station will continue next week.
- Crews continued setting the structural steel for the station shelters on the outbound side of the station. This work is scheduled to be completed next week.
CITY OF ELK RIVER – NORTHSTAR STATION (HIGHWAY 10/169 AND 171ST AVENUE)
- Crews finished work on the park-and-ride lot extension this week. Crews plan to begin work on the existing lot on Monday, October 20. Parking for the Elk River commuter coach riders will be limited to the newly finished lot. The work will not limit the amount of parking spaces available.
- Next week, crews will begin work on the station platform. Crews will grade the platform area and complete utility work next week. Crews will also begin concrete work on the inbound side of the platform.
CITY OF BIG LAKE – NORTHSTAR STATION (HIGHWAY 10 AND COUNTY ROAD 43) AND VMF
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the Northstar Project, please contact Brandt Richardson at 651-366-5829 or by e-mail at email@example.com or visit the newly redesigned Northstar website at http://www.mn-getonboard.com/.
Construction Site Photos
CITY OF MINNEAPOLIS – LRT EXTENSION
Ductbank work on 1st Avenue. (October 14, 2008)
CITY OF COON RAPIDS – COMMUTER RAIL STATION
Crews work on the inbound platform. (October 8, 2008)
CITY OF ANOKA – COMMUTER RAIL STATION <
Work on outbound platform. (October 14, 2008)
CITY OF ELK RIVER – COMMUTER RAIL STATION
Work on the retaining wall at the Elk River Station (September 24, 2008)
CITY OF BIG LAKE - VEHICLE MAINTENANCE FACILITY
Landscaping at the Big Lake station (October 13, 2008)