Track work in downtown Minneapolis continues this week as crews work in the intersection of 1st Avenue and 5th Street, and along 5th Street between 2nd Avenue and 3rd Avenue. This work will extend the Hiawatha Light Rail Transit line from the Warehouse Station along 5th Street to the new ballpark station that is currently under construction.
Construction activities continue to progress at the commuter rail stations in Big Lake, Elk River, Anoka, Coon Rapids and Minneapolis, the Vehicle Maintenance Facility (VMF) in Big Lake and the Light Rail Transit (LRT) connection in Minneapolis. The schedule provided in this update is tentative, weather dependent and subject to change.
DOWNTOWN MINNEAPOLIS – LRT CONNECTION
CLOSURES - 1ST AVENUE AT 5TH STREET
- On Monday, October 27, crews excavated the northeast quadrant of the 1st Avenue and 5th Street intersection to extend track through the intersection. All southbound traffic on 1st Avenue will travel in the two westernmost lanes. Access to westbound 5th Street from 1st Avenue will again be available.
- During this work in 1st Avenue, LRT riders will not be able to exit the Warehouse District station at 1st Avenue. Riders will be directed to the Hennepin Avenue exit of the Warehouse District station then down the sidewalk of 5th Street to access 1st Avenue.
- Track work in the 1st Avenue and 5th Street intersection began this week. This work is scheduled to last approximately two weeks.
- Concrete pours on the embedded track along 5th Street between 2nd Avenue and 3rd Avenue continued this week.
- Work progresses on the commuter rail station as crews continued work on the station retaining wall and the tracks.
CITY OF COON RAPIDS – NORTHSTAR STATION (RIVERDALE PARK-AND-RIDE)
- Crews poured the inbound retaining wall, the remaining sections of the platform and the sidewalks this week.
- Work on the station shelter roofing continued this week. This work is scheduled to be completed next week.
- Platform work will continue next week as crews are scheduled to lay brick pavers on the platform and complete the light pole bases around the station.
CITY OF ANOKA – NORTHSTAR STATION (JOHNSON STREET AND 4TH AVENUE)
- This week, crews completed pouring the bus drive on the inbound side of the platform.
- Crews also continued electrical and structural work for the light poles in the outbound parking lot this week.
- Crews are scheduled to continue work on both the inbound and outbound sidewalks next week.
CITY OF ELK RIVER – NORTHSTAR STATION (HIGHWAY 10/169 AND 171ST AVENUE)
- Crews continued work on the existing park-and-ride lot and the station platform this week. Utility work on the platform area continued this week and is expected to be completed next week.
- Crews completed forming and pouring the light pole bases in the parking lot this week.
CITY OF BIG LAKE – NORTHSTAR STATION (HIGHWAY 10 AND COUNTY ROAD 43) AND VMF
- This week, crews completed the roofing and the electrical finishes of the station shelters.
- Miscellaneous installations will continue next week as weather permits.
- System installation, interior work and painting continue at the VMF.
- Work began this week on paving the access roads and the VMF parking lot.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the Northstar Project, please contact Brandt Richardson at 651-366-5829 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org visit the newly redesigned Northstar website at www.mn-GetOnBoard.com.
Construction Site Photos
CITY OF MINNEAPOLIS – LRT EXTENSION
Embedded track work in 1st Avenue. (October 29, 2008)
CITY OF COON RAPIDS – COMMUTER RAIL STATION
View of the inbound station shelter and pedestrian overpass. (October 23, 2008)
CITY OF ANOKA – COMMUTER RAIL STATION
Anoka inbound platform and parking lot. (October 29, 2008)
CITY OF ELK RIVER – COMMUTER RAIL STATION
Work progresses on the inbound station platform. (October 29, 2008)
CITY OF BIG LAKE - VEHICLE MAINTENANCE FACILITY
View of the Big Lake station shelters. (October 29, 2008)