Track work continues in downtown Minneapolis as crews finished the northwest quadrant of the 1st Avenue and 5th Street intersection this week. Crews will begin excavating the northeast quadrant of the 1st Avenue and 5th Street intersection on Monday, October 27. Details of the closure are included below.
Construction activities continue to progress at the commuter rail stations in Big Lake, Elk River, Anoka, Coon Rapids and Minneapolis, the Vehicle Maintenance Facility (VMF) in Big Lake and the Light Rail Transit (LRT) connection in Minneapolis. The schedule provided in this update is tentative, weather dependent and subject to change.
DOWNTOWN MINNEAPOLIS – LRT CONNECTION
CLOSURES - 1ST AVENUE AT 5TH STREET
- On Monday, October 27, crews are scheduled to excavate the northeast quadrant of the 1st Avenue and 5th Street intersection to extend track through the intersection. All southbound traffic on 1st Avenue will travel in the two westernmost lanes. Access to westbound 5th Street from 1st Avenue will again be available.
- During this work in 1st Avenue, LRT riders will not be able to exit the Warehouse District station at 1st Avenue during this work. Riders will be directed to the Hennepin Avenue exit of the Warehouse District station.
- The 5th Street bridge between 3rd Avenue and 5th Avenue has reopened in both directions this week.
- Crews completed the track work on 2nd Avenue this week. Final concrete and pavement work will be completed next week. The 2nd Avenue intersection is scheduled to completely reopen next week.
- Crews continued to pave 5th Street between 1st Avenue and 3rd Avenue.
- On Saturday, October 25, crews will begin striping 5th Street and the crosswalks at the intersections of 1st Avenue, 2nd Avenue and 3rd Avenue.
CITY OF COON RAPIDS – NORTHSTAR STATION (RIVERDALE PARK-AND-RIDE)
- Crews continued concrete pours this week, including the footing of the inbound retaining wall and the stairway landings on both the inbound and outbound sides of the pedestrian overpass.
- Concrete work will continue next week as crews are scheduled to pour the inbound retaining wall, the remaining sections of the platform and the sidewalks.
- The painting of the station shelters and the pedestrian overpass is scheduled to be completed next week.
CITY OF ANOKA – NORTHSTAR STATION (JOHNSON STREET AND 4TH AVENUE)
- This week, crews paved the inbound parking lot and the inbound bus drive.
- Crews are scheduled to continue work on both the inbound and outbound sidewalks next week.
- Painting the station shelters is scheduled to begin next week. The work is expected to be completed within the week.
CITY OF ELK RIVER – NORTHSTAR STATION (HIGHWAY 10/169 AND 171ST AVENUE)
- On Tuesday, October 28, crews are scheduled to begin utility work on Twin Lakes Road. During this work, Twin Lakes Road will be reduced to one lane. Access will be maintained in both directions. The work is scheduled to be completed within one to two days.
- Crews began work in the existing park-and-ride lot and on the station platform this week. This work will continue through next week. Commuter coach riders are asked to continue using the recently completed lot extension until work in the existing lot has been completed.
CITY OF BIG LAKE – NORTHSTAR STATION (HIGHWAY 10 AND COUNTY ROAD 43) AND VMF
- This week, crews began painting the station shelters this week. This work is scheduled to be completed early next week.
- Next week work will continue on the shelters as crews complete the roofing and the installation of electrical systems.
- System installation, interior work and painting continue at the VMF.
- Work began this week on paving the access roads and the VMF parking lot.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the Northstar Project, please contact Brandt Richardson at 651-366-5829 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the newly redesigned Northstar website at www.mn-GetOnBoard.com.
Construction Site Photos
CITY OF MINNEAPOLIS – LRT EXTENSION
Embedded track work on 1st Avenue. (October 22, 2008)
CITY OF COON RAPIDS – COMMUTER RAIL STATION
Completed curb and gutter on the Coon Rapids station. (October 17, 2008)
CITY OF ANOKA – COMMUTER RAIL STATION
Preparing the inbound parking lot for pavement. (October 14, 2008)
CITY OF ELK RIVER – COMMUTER RAIL STATION
Work begins on the inbound side of the station. (September 22, 2008)
CITY OF BIG LAKE - VEHICLE MAINTENANCE FACILITY
Big Lake parking lot and station. (October 22, 2008)