Construction activities continue to progress at the commuter rail stations in Big Lake, Elk River, Anoka, Coon Rapids and Minneapolis, the Vehicle Maintenance Facility (VMF) in Big Lake and the Light Rail Transit (LRT) connection in Minneapolis. The schedule provided in this update is tentative, weather dependent and subject to change.
DOWNTOWN MINNEAPOLIS – LRT CONNECTION
CLOSURES - 1ST AVENUE AT 5TH STREET
- On Monday, October 6, crews excavated the northwest quadrant of the 1st Avenue and 5th Street intersection to extend track through the intersection. All southbound traffic on 1st Avenue will travel in the two easternmost lanes. Traffic attempting to head west on 5th Street will be routed east on 6th Street, north on Hennepin Avenue and then west on 5th Street. Please follow the posted detour signs during this work. The closure of the northwest quadrant is expected to continue through next week. Upon completion, crews will move into the northeast quadrant of the 1st Avenue and 5th Street intersection.
- Next week, crews are scheduled to begin the removal and reconstruction of the sidewalk on the northwest corner of the 1st Avenue and 5th Street intersection. This work is expected to last approximately one week.
CLOSURES - I-394 EXIT AND ENTRANCE RAMPS
- Crews have completed the installation of electrical conduit underneath the 5th Street bridge over I-394. Next week, crews will begin grounding cable underneath the bridge. This will result in intermittent closures of the Washington Avenue and 4th Street exit ramps and the Washington Avenue and 3rd Street entrance ramps. This work will take place between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. on weekdays. All closures will be clearly signed. Access to downtown Minneapolis and to I-394 will be maintained at all times.
- This week, crews poured concrete on the embedded track in the west half of 5th Street and 2nd Avenue intersection. Work on the east half of the intersection will begin next week.
- Beginning Monday, October 13, 2nd Avenue, south of 5th Street, will be reduced to the two westernmost lanes to accommodate track work in the east half of the intersection. All lanes of 2nd Avenue north of 5th Street will remain open.
- Crews continued to pour concrete along the rail on 5th Street between 1st Avenue and 2nd Avenue. This work will continue through next week.
CITY OF COON RAPIDS – NORTHSTAR STATION (RIVERDALE PARK-AND-RIDE)
- Crews continued steel work on the overpass and station shelters this week. This work is scheduled to be completed next week.
- This week, crews finished forming and pouring the stairs on the inbound (residential) side of the pedestrian overpass. The stairs of the overpass have now been completely poured.
- Crews will begin pouring concrete along the pedestrian bridge next week. This work is scheduled to continue into the following week.
CITY OF ANOKA – NORTHSTAR STATION (JOHNSON STREET AND 4TH AVENUE)
- This week, crews graded the sidewalks on the inbound side of the station.
- Crews continued concrete pours on the outbound side, including the footings for the benches and the ticket kiosks. Concrete pours on both the inbound and the outbound side of the station will continue next week.
- Crews also began setting the structural steel for the station shelters on the outbound side of the station. This work is scheduled to be completed next week.
CITY OF ELK RIVER – NORTHSTAR STATION (HIGHWAY 10/169 AND 171ST AVENUE)
- Crews are scheduled to finish pouring the retaining wall this week. Backfilling the retaining wall began this week and is scheduled to be completed next week.
- This week, crews graded the park-and-ride lot extension and began base course of pavement. Crews will pave the final wear course of the lot next week.
CITY OF BIG LAKE – NORTHSTAR STATION (HIGHWAY 10 AND COUNTY ROAD 43) AND VMF
- This week, crews began installing irrigation systems and landscaping the site. This work is scheduled to be completed next week.
- Crews plan to pave the final wear course of the park-and-ride lot next week.
- System installation, interior work and painting continue at the VMF.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the Northstar Project, please contact Brandt Richardson at 651-366-5829 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the newly redesigned Northstar website at www.mn-GetOnBoard.com.
Construction Site Photos
CITY OF MINNEAPOLIS – LRT EXTENSION
Embedded track work on 2nd Avenue (October 7, 2008)
CITY OF COON RAPIDS – COMMUTER RAIL STATION
Crews salvage the bus shelters from the park-and-ride (October 8, 2008)
CITY OF ANOKA – COMMUTER RAIL STATION
Setting the structural steel of the station shelter on the inbound side of the platform (October 1, 2008)
CITY OF ELK RIVER – COMMUTER RAIL STATION
Working on the retaining wall at the Elk River station (September 24, 2008)
CITY OF BIG LAKE - VEHICLE MAINTENANCE FACILITY
Locomotive 501 stored inside the VMF (October 6, 2008)