On Thursday, October 2, the first Northstar locomotive, Locomotive 501, arrived in Minnesota. Locomotive 501 will be housed in the Vehicle Maintenance Facility, along with the other locomotives and the coach and cab cars as they arrive over the next six months.
Construction activities continue to progress at the commuter rail stations in Big Lake, Elk River, Anoka, Coon Rapids and Minneapolis, the Vehicle Maintenance Facility (VMF) in Big Lake and the Light Rail Transit (LRT) connection in Minneapolis. The schedule provided in this update is tentative, weather dependent and subject to change.
DOWNTOWN MINNEAPOLIS – LRT CONNECTION CLOSURES
WEST LANES OF 1ST AVENUE AT 5TH STREET
- On Monday, October 6, crews will excavate the northwest quadrant of the 1st Avenue and 5th Street intersection to extend track through the intersection. All southbound traffic on 1st Avenue will travel in the two easternmost lanes. Traffic attempting to head west on 5th Street will be routed east on 6th Street, north on Hennepin Avenue and then west on 5th Street. Please follow the posted detour signs during this work. The closure of the northwest quadrant is expected to last approximately two weeks. Upon completion, crews will move into the northeast quadrant of the 1st Avenue and 5th Street intersection.
I-394 EXIT AND ENTRANCE RAMPS
- Crews continue to install electrical conduit underneath the 5th Street bridge over I-394. Work has been completed over the I-394 exit ramps. Next week crews will continue westward over the 3rd Street and Washington Avenue entrance ramps. This will result in staggered closures of I-394 entrance ramps between 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. on weekdays for approximately the next week. Access to I-394 from downtown will be maintained on either the Washington Avenue of 3rd Street entrance ramps as crews move further west underneath the bridge. All closures and detours will be clearly signed.
- Crews continued to pour concrete along the rail on 5th Street between 1st Avenue and 2nd Avenue. This work will continue through next week.
- This week, 2nd Avenue, south of 5th Street, was reduced to the two easternmost lanes as LRT track work continues through the intersection of 2nd Avenue and 5th Street. All 2nd Avenue lanes north of 5th Street have reopened to traffic. Traffic heading west on 5th Street to turn north on 2nd Avenue will be shifted to the north lane of 5th Street near the intersection of 5th Street and 2nd Avenue.
- During the lane closure on 2nd Avenue, crews will be laying track through the intersection. This work is scheduled to take one to two weeks to complete. Access to 2nd Avenue will be maintained during this work.
CITY OF COON RAPIDS – NORTHSTAR STATION (RIVERDALE PARK-AND-RIDE)
- Crews continued steel work on the overpass and station shelters this week. This work is scheduled to be completed next week.
- Crews continued forming and pouring concrete for the pedestrian overpass stairs on the inbound (residential) side this week. The stairs are scheduled to be completely poured next week.
- Crews will begin pouring concrete along the pedestrian bridge next week. This work is scheduled to continue into the following week.
CITY OF ANOKA – NORTHSTAR STATION (JOHNSON STREET AND 4TH AVENUE)
- This week, crews began grading the inbound (southern) park-and-ride lot. Next week crews are scheduled to pour the curbs and sidewalks on the inbound side.
- Concrete pours on the outbound (northern) side of the platform continued this week. Concrete work will continue through next week. Crews will also begin to pour the bench and light pole foundations next week.
- Crews continued to set the structural steel of the station shelters in place on the outbound side this week.
CITY OF ELK RIVER – NORTHSTAR STATION (HIGHWAY 10/169 AND 171ST AVENUE)
- Crews continued work on the retaining wall at the Elk River station this week. Work on the retaining wall is expected to finish next week.
- Crews will dig station footings this Saturday, October 4. This work is expected to be completed within a few hours of start up.
- Next week crews will grade and pave the first course of the park-and-ride lot extension. The final paving is scheduled to occur early the following week.
CITY OF BIG LAKE – NORTHSTAR STATION (HIGHWAY 10 AND COUNTY ROAD 43) AND VMF
- Electrical work at the station continues this week and into next week.
- Next week, crews plan to pave the final wear course of the parking lot, install irrigation systems and begin landscaping the site.
- System installation and interior work continue at the VMF.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the Northstar Project, please contact Brandt Richardson at 651-366-5829 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the newly redesigned Northstar website at www.mn-GetOnBoard.com.
Construction Site Photos
CITY OF MINNEAPOLIS – LRT EXTENSION
LRT station shelters (September 30, 2008)
CITY OF COON RAPIDS – COMMUTER RAIL STATION
Locomotive 501 stops at the Coon Rapids station its way to the VMF (October 3, 2008)
CITY OF ANOKA – COMMUTER RAIL STATION
Forming the outbound platform at the Anoka station site (September 19, 2008)
CITY OF ELK RIVER – COMMUTER RAIL STATION
Removing pavement from a section of the existing park-and-ride lot (September 25, 2008)
CITY OF BIG LAKE - COMMUTER RAIL STATION
Completed landscaping outsie the VMF (October 1, 2008)