This week, during a planned BNSF track outage, crews placed the pedestrian walkway over the tracks at the Coon Rapids-Riverdale station. The structure of the pedestrian overpass is now up and partially completed. Crews also continued concrete pours along the inbound (residential) side of the platform during the outage. Construction activities continue to progress at the commuter rail stations in Big Lake, Elk River, Anoka, Coon Rapids and Minneapolis, the Vehicle Maintenance Facility (VMF) in Big Lake and the Light Rail Transit (LRT) connection in Minneapolis. The schedule provided in this update is tentative, weather dependent and subject to change.
DOWNTOWN MINNEAPOLIS – LRT CONNECTION
- This week crews excavated and graded 5th Street North between 1st Avenue and 2nd Avenue in preparation for LRT track extension work. Track work on 5th Street east of 2nd Avenue is scheduled to begin next week. The north lane of 5th Street between 1st Avenue and 2nd Avenue remains permanently closed to traffic.
- Next week, 2nd Avenue south of 5th Street will be reduced to the two easternmost lanes as work on the LRT track will continue through the intersection of 2nd Avenue and 5th Street. All 2nd Avenue lanes north of 5th Street will be open to traffic.
CITY OF COON RAPIDS – NORTHSTAR STATION (RIVERDALE PARK-AND-RIDE)
- This week, crews installed the pedestrian walkway/overpass during a planned BNSF track outage.
- Crews used a pump truck to pour concrete over the tracks on the inbound (residential) side of the platform during the outage.
- Concrete pours at the station will continue next week.
CITY OF ANOKA – NORTHSTAR STATION (JOHNSON STREET AND 4TH AVENUE)
- Crews finished pouring the rail edge of the south platform.
- Work began this week on the rail edge of the north platform. This work will continue through next week.
CITY OF ELK RIVER – NORTHSTAR STATION (HIGHWAY 10/169 AND 171ST AVENUE)
- Crews finished grading the park-and-ride lot extension adjacent to the current lot.
- Next week, crews will begin the excavation of the new storm sewer and proceed with the underground electrical work.
CITY OF BIG LAKE – NORTHSTAR STATION (HIGHWAY 10 AND COUNTY ROAD 43) AND VMF
- Crews finished setting the structural steel for the station shelters at the commuter rail station this week.
- System installation and interior work continue at the VMF.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the Northstar Project, please contact Brandt Richardson at 651-366-5829 or by e-mail at email@example.com or visit the newly redesigned Northstar website at www.mn-GetOnBoard.com.
Construction Site Photos
City of Minneapolis - LRT Extension
5th Street North towards 1st Avenue (September 3, 2008)
City of Coon Rapids - Commuter Rail Station
Placement of the pedestrian walkway (September 2, 2008)
City of Anoka - Commuter Rail Station
Forming and pouring the final section of the south rail edge (September 3, 2008)
City of Elk River - Commuter Rail Station
Crews salvage the existing storm sewer pipe (September 3, 2008)
City of Big Lake - Vehicle Maintenance Facility
Powering on the lighting of the east maintenance bay of the VMF (September 5, 2008)