Track work for the Hiawatha Light Rail Transit extension continued this week, as crews began to lay track on 5th Street between 1st Avenue and 2nd Avenue. This work will continue through the fall as crews work east along 5th Street towards 1st Avenue and the connection with the current LRT tracks. Construction activities continue to progress at the commuter rail stations in Big Lake, Elk River, Anoka, Coon Rapids and Minneapolis, the Vehicle Maintenance Facility (VMF) in Big Lake and the Light Rail Transit (LRT) connection in Minneapolis. The schedule provided in this update is tentative, weather dependent and subject to change.
DOWNTOWN MINNEAPOLIS – LRT EXTENSION
- Track work on 5th Street, east of 2nd Avenue, began this week. The north lane of 5th Street between 1st Avenue and 2nd Avenue remains permanently closed to traffic.
- Early next week, crews will pour concrete to permanently secure the LRT tracks on 5th Street, east of 2nd Avenue.
- Following the concrete pour, 2nd Avenue, south of 5th Street, will be reduced to the two easternmost lanes as work on the LRT track will continue through the intersection of 2nd Avenue and 5th Street. All 2nd Avenue lanes north of 5th Street will be open to traffic.
CITY OF COON RAPIDS – COMMUTER RAIL STATION
- Setting the structural steel for the pedestrian overpass and the station shelters continued this week. Steel work will continue into next week.
- Crews work on forming and pouring concrete for the pedestrian overpass stairs on the inbound (residential) and outbound sides this week.
- Electrical and concrete work will continue next week.
CITY OF ANOKA – COMMUTER RAIL STATION
- Concrete pours on the inbound (southern) platform continued this week.
- Work on the outbound (northern) platform began this week and will continue through next week.
CITY OF ELK RIVER – COMMUTER RAIL STATION
- This week, crews began the excavation of the new storm sewer and the underground electrical work. Storm sewer and underground electrical work will continue into next week.
- Crews began work on the retaining wall at the Elk River station. Work on the retaining wall will continue through next week.
CITY OF BIG LAKE – COMMUTER RAIL STATION
- Crews finished pouring sidewalks at the station this week.
- Irrigation and landscaping work at the Big Lake station will begin in the next few weeks.
- System installation and interior work continue at the VMF.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the Northstar Project, please contact Brandt Richardson at 651-366-5829 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the newly redesigned Northstar website at www.mn-GetOnBoard.com.
Construction Site Photos
City of Minneapolis - LRT Extension
Crews installing LRT track near 2nd Avenue N (September 10, 2008)
City of Coon Rapids - Commuter Rail Station
Crews install the roof the station shelters (September 8, 2008)
City of Anoka - Commuter Rail Station
Forming and pouring the final section of the south rail edge (September 4, 2008)
City of Elk River - Commuter Rail Station
Excavation for the retaining wall west of the BNSF tracks (September 8, 2008)
City of Big Lake - Commuter Rail Station
Setting the structural steel for the Big Lake station shelters (September 5, 2008)