Construction activities continue to progress at the commuter rail stations in Big Lake, Elk River, Anoka, Coon Rapids and Minneapolis, the Vehicle Maintenance Facility (VMF) in Big Lake and the Light Rail Transit (LRT) connection in Minneapolis. The schedule provided in this update is tentative, weather dependent and subject to change.
DOWNTOWN MINNEAPOLIS – LRT CONNECTION ONGOING WORK
- Track work on 5th Street, east of 2nd Avenue, continued this week as crews continued to lay rail in the north lane of 5th Street. Concrete pours started this week at the 5th Street and 2nd Avenue intersection and moved east along 5th Street.
- On Friday, September 19 or Monday, September 22, 2nd Avenue, south of 5th Street, is scheduled to be reduced to the two easternmost lanes as work on the LRT track will continue through the intersection of 2nd Avenue and 5th Street. All 2nd Avenue lanes north of 5th Street will be open to traffic. Traffic heading west on 5th Street to turn north on 2nd Avenue will be shifted to the north lane of 5th Street near the intersection of 5th Street and 2nd Avenue.
- Beginning Monday, September 22, crews will be installing electrical conduit underneath the 5th Street bridge over I-394. This will result in the closure of I-394 exit and entrance ramps between 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. on weekdays for approximately the next two weeks. Crews will begin at the east end of the bridge and work westward, the first exit ramp to close will be the Washington Avenue exit. The 4th Street ramp will remain open while the Washington Avenue ramp is closed. All closures and detours will be clearly signed.
CITY OF COON RAPIDS – NORTHSTAR STATION (RIVERDALE PARK-AND-RIDE)
- Installation of the structural steel for the pedestrian overpass and the station shelters was completed this week on the inbound (residential) side of the station. Steel work is expected to be completed on the outbound side next week.
- Crews finished forming and pouring concrete for the pedestrian overpass stairs on the inbound (residential) and outbound sides this week.
- Electrical and concrete work will continue next week.
CITY OF ANOKA – NORTHSTAR STATION (JOHNSON STREET AND 4TH AVENUE)
- Concrete pours on the inbound (southern) platform continued this week.
- Work on the outbound (northern) platform began this week and will continue through September.
CITY OF ELK RIVER – NORTHSTAR STATION (HIGHWAY 10/169 AND 171ST AVENUE)
- Crews continued work on the retaining wall at the Elk River station this week. Work on the retaining wall is expected to finish in the next two weeks.
- Crews completed grading the park-and-ride lot extension this week. Next week crews will pour curbs for the lot in preparation for paving.
CITY OF BIG LAKE – NORTHSTAR STATION (HIGHWAY 10 AND COUNTY ROAD 43) AND VMF
- Irrigation and landscaping work at the Big Lake station are scheduled to begin in early October.
- System installation and interior work continue at the VMF.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the Northstar Project, please contact Brandt Richardson at 651-366-5829 or by e-mail at email@example.com or visit the newly redesigned Northstar website at www.mn-GetOnBoard.com.
Construction Site Photos
City of Minneapolis - LRT Extension
Crews construct the LRT station shelters near the Twins ballpark (September 16, 2008)
City of Coon Rapids - Commuter Rail Station
Work on the trench drain on the inbound side of the Coon Rapids station (September 8, 2008)
City of Anoka - Commuter Rail Station
Work on the inbound platform at the Anoka Station site (September 12, 2008)
City of Elk River- Commuter Rail Station
Forming the retaining wall west of the BNSF tracks (September 12, 2008)
City of Big Lake - Commuter Rail Station
Installation of electrical conduit in the Big Lake station shelters (September 12, 2008)