Construction activities continue to progress at the commuter rail stations in Big Lake, Elk River, Anoka, Coon Rapids and Minneapolis, the Vehicle Maintenance Facility (VMF) in Big Lake and the Light Rail Transit (LRT) connection in Minneapolis. The schedule provided in this update is tentative, weather dependent and subject to change.
DOWNTOWN MINNEAPOLIS – LRT CONNECTION
- Crews continued to pour concrete along the rail on 5th Street between 1st Avenue and 2nd Avenue. This work will continue through next week.
- This week, 2nd Avenue, south of 5th Street, was reduced to the two easternmost lanes as LRT track work continues through the intersection of 2nd Avenue and 5th Street. All 2nd Avenue lanes north of 5th Street have reopened to traffic. Traffic heading west on 5th Street to turn north on 2nd Avenue will be shifted to the north lane of 5th Street near the intersection of 5th Street and 2nd Avenue.
- During the lane closure on 2nd Avenue, crews will be laying track through the intersection. This work is scheduled to take one to two weeks to complete. Access to 2nd Avenue will be maintained during this work.
CONTINUED CLOSURE: I-394 EXIT AND ENTRANCE RAMPS
- Crews continue to install electrical conduit underneath the 5th Street bridge over I-394. Work continues over the Washington Avenue exit ramp, but crews will move over the 4th Street exit ramp next and will continue to work westward. This will result in staggered closures of I-394 exit and entrance ramps between 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. on weekdays for approximately the next two weeks. Access to downtown Minneapolis from I-394 will be maintained on either the Washington Avenue or 4th Street exit ramps. Access to I-394 from downtown will be maintained on either the Washington Avenue of 3rd Street entrance ramps when crews move further west underneath the bridge. All closures and detours will be clearly signed.
CITY OF COON RAPIDS – NORTHSTAR STATION (RIVERDALE PARK-AND-RIDE)
- Crews continued steel work in the overpass and station shelters this week. This work is scheduled to be completed by early next week.
- Crews continued forming and pouring concrete for the pedestrian overpass stairs on the inbound (residential) side this week. The stairs are scheduled to be completely poured next week.
- Structural and concrete work will continue next week.
CITY OF ANOKA – NORTHSTAR STATION (JOHNSON STREET AND 4TH AVENUE)
- Crews began work on the inbound (southern) park-and-ride lot this week by pouring light pole bases and grading the lot. Next week crews are scheduled to pour the curbs and sidewalks on the inbound side.
- Concrete pours on the outbound (northern) side of the platform continued this week. Concrete work will continue through next week.
- Crews began to set the structural steel in place on the outbound side this week. Setting the steel is scheduled to complete in the next two weeks.
CITY OF ELK RIVER – NORTHSTAR STATION (HIGHWAY 10/169 AND 171ST AVENUE)
- Crews continued work on the retaining wall at the Elk River station this week. Work on the retaining wall is expected to finish next week.
- This week, crews poured the curbs of the park-and-ride lot extension. Crews will begin paving the lot next week.
CITY OF BIG LAKE – NORTHSTAR STATION (HIGHWAY 10 AND COUNTY ROAD 43) AND VMF
- Electrical work at the station continues this week and into next week.
- Next week, crews plan to pave the final course of the parking and install irrigation systems.
- System installation and interior work continue at the VMF.
- Crews are scheduled to finish landscaping and planting outside the VMF this week.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the Northstar Project, please contact Brandt Richardson at 651-366-5829 or by e-mail at email@example.com or visit the newly redesigned Northstar website at www.mn-GetOnBoard.com.
Construction Site Photos
CITY OF ELK RIVER – COMMUTER RAIL STATION
Pouring concrete on a section of the retaining wall (September 17, 2008)
CITY OF BIG LAKE – COMMUTER RAIL STATION
Landscaping work outside the VMF (September 23, 2008)