This week, work continues on the Light Rail Transit (LRT) Connection in downtown Minneapolis, the Vehicle Maintenance Facility (VMF) in Big Lake, and commuter rail stations in Big Lake, Anoka and Coon Rapids. Construction of the Elk River commuter rail station will begin in Fall 2008. Major construction this week includes storm sewer work on 4th Avenue in Anoka and removal and reconstruction of the Ramp B entrance in downtown Minneapolis. Details on current and upcoming construction activities are included below.
DOWNTOWN MINNEAPOLIS – LRT CONNECTION
- Crews have been removing and reconstructing the Ramp B (5th Street at 2nd Avenue) entrance this weekend. The Ramp B entrance ramp will reopen no later than Monday, June 9 at 5:00 a.m.
- The curb on the south side of 5th Street between 1st Avenue and Butler Square has been completed. The reconstruction of the sidewalk will begin next week.
CITY OF COON RAPIDS – NORTHSTAR STATION (RIVERDALE PARK-AND-RIDE)
- On Monday, June 9, crews will begin excavation for footings for the pedestrian overpass.
- Water main and storm sewer utility work continues.
- Temporary parking is available immediately to the north of the Riverdale park-and-ride lot. This additional on-site parking will help mitigate the loss of parking throughout construction.
CITY OF ANOKA – NORTHSTAR STATION (JOHNSON STREET AND 4TH AVENUE)
- Storm sewer utility work continues along 4th Avenue. Crews have begun jacking under the tracks and will be installing large storm sewer pipes in the near future. Work is expected to continue at least through the week of June 9th. During storm sewer work:
- 4th Avenue will be closed between Pierce Street and Grant Street. Northbound traffic on 4th Avenue will be forced to turn left or right on Pierce Street.
- Drivers headed northbound on 4th Avenue toward the Anoka-Metro Regional Treatment Center will be detoured east on Pierce Street, north on 7th Avenue and west on Grant Street.
- Johnson Street will be closed to through traffic between 7th and 4th Avenues.
- Pedestrian access on 4th Avenue will be maintained alongside the construction zone. Pedestrians should be mindful of all posted signs and safety barriers.
- Drainage pond work is nearing completion. However, there will be sporadic hauling from the pond area across and along 4th Avenue.
CITY OF BIG LAKE – NORTHSTAR STATION (HIGHWAY 10 AND COUNTY ROAD 43) AND VMF
Concrete work on the Big Lake station platform and future park-and-ride lot continues. Track installation outside of the VMF continues.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the Northstar Project, please contact Jonathan Blake at 651-366-5840 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit Northstar online at www.mn-GetOnBoard.com.