This week, work continues on the Light Rail Transit (LRT) Connection in downtown Minneapolis, the Vehicle Maintenance Facility (VMF) in Big Lake, and commuter rail stations in Big Lake, Anoka and Coon Rapids. Details on upcoming construction activities are included below.
DOWNTOWN MINNEAPOLIS – LRT CONNECTION
- Removal and reconstruction of the south sidewalk and roadway on 5th Street between 1st and 2nd Avenues continues.
- Reconstruction of the south sidewalk is expected to be completed within the next two
- Earlier this week, crews completed pours for commuter rail station shelters as well as on the bridge over I-394 and at the future LRT station on the 5th Street North bridge over the BNSF tracks.
- The Northstar Project and its contractor will provide temporary pedestrian access to all affected 5th Street businesses during any sidewalk and road work.
CITY OF COON RAPIDS – NORTHSTAR STATION (RIVERDALE PARK-AND-RIDE)
- Access road construction has been completed. There will be periodic construction traffic on the access road in the coming weeks.
- Storm sewer work on the north side of the tracks will take place next week.
- Temporary parking is available immediately to the north of the Riverdale park-and-ride.
CITY OF ANOKA – NORTHSTAR STATION (JOHNSON STREET AND 4TH AVENUE)
- The north and south parking lots have been brought up to grade.
- Drainage pond work continues and there may be sporadic hauling from the pond area across and along 4th Avenue.
CITY OF BIG LAKE – NORTHSTAR STATION (HIGHWAY 10 AND COUNTY ROAD 43) AND VMF
- Concrete work on the Big Lake station platform and future park-and-ride lot continues. Interior piping, ductwork installation and exterior concrete work will continue at the VMF next week.
- Track installation outside of the VMF continues.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the Northstar Project, please contact Jonathan Blake at 651-366-5840 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit Northstar online at
Construction Site Photos
Hiawatha LRT Connection
Bridge pour on 5th Street North bridge over I-394 (May 20, 2008)
City of Big Lake - Commuter Rail Station
Commuter rail station platform construction in Big Lake (May 16, 2008)